Monday, March 28, 2011

'Member That Time?

'Member that time I had to miss my fourth grade two-day field trip?

My third- and fourth-grade class had spent months preparing for this field trip.  My awesome teacher, Mrs. Yount, tied all kinds of lessons into it's preparation- reading maps, figuring mileage, Kansas history lessons, etc.  Along with the rest of my class, I was so, so excited to be going not just on a field trip, but an overnight field trip across Kansas with my fellow Lutheran youngsters.

It was the day before our departure, and I remember being at home in the evening, in my room, listening to my Garth Brooks tape.  My baby-sitter, Kari, had introduced me to Mr. Brooks the previous summer, and because in my mind Kari was the epitome of All Things Cool, I was listening to a lot of Garth Brooks at that point in time.  I was especially fond of the song "Burning Bridges."

I went to bed that night, bags packed, ready for the next day's adventure.  And I had one of the most vivid, scary dreams of my childhood.

In the dream, I was running around on a flat, two-dimensional, and enormous map of Kansas.  It was completely dark around me, but I was able to see because of the monstrous flames surrounding me.  The only way to escape the fire that was consuming Kansas was to go over one of the many bridges covering the map.  These were small, wooden, arched and otherwise quaint-looking bridges- the kind you'd see in someone's backyard or garden.  The only problem was, every time I'd run over one of these bridges, it would burst into flames and collapse behind me.  I was dashing around, trying to find a way through the inferno, running out of bridges, when I woke up.

It was just a nightmare, not real after all.  A vicious fever dream.  I was sick, and had to stay home.  I couldn't go on the field trip.

I still haven't ever been to the World's Largest Hand-Dug Well, nor have I ever seen the World's Largest Meteorite.  These items were located in Greensburg, Kansas, which was victim to a massive tornado in 2007.  The museum was destroyed (that's right, there was a museum for these popular Kansas-style tourist attractions), but the well survived, and the meteorite was later recovered in the rubble. 

Someday, I will venture forth to Greensburg, and will get to see for myself the wonders that my classmates witnessed.  I swear, they talked about it for weeks.

What's that?  You want to go with me?




It's 'Member That Time Monday over at the Van Voorst's.

2 comments:

  1. The well was very cool and very terrifying because it looked so rickety and like it would collapse at any given moment (although looking at the pictures on the website, it appears that terror was sparked by was my imagination and not shoddy workmanship). I'm impressed with your memory though, all I remember of my two-day field trip was getting to eat a Big Mac with a LARGE Hi-C at McDonald's instead of a Happy Meal and the scary well. Figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried not to let my bitterness alter the flavor of this post too much.
    And my memories of things such as these are the reason I don't have room for things like grocery lists, important dates, etc...

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.