Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wanna See A Grown Man Cry?

Tell him you have a new potato soup recipe you're going to try.  You've had it recently when your sister made it, and it was delicious.  Describe to him just how creamy, cheesy, bacony, potato-ey this soup is.  Promise him he'll love it. 

Make sure he knows the day you're going to make it so that he can come home good and hungry.  Make sure it looks and smells great when he walks in the door, exactly as you told him it would.

Now instead of making the soup with real bacon, use turkey bacon.  And watch the tears fall fast and thick.

Aw, I'm just kidding.  He didn't really cry.  In fact, in nearly seven years of marriage, I don't think I've ever seen Derek cry.  I believe the closest he's come was right after Adelaide was born.  When I was in the hospital and getting ready to deliver her, he planted himself firmly by my head and turned his face away from the action.  After she arrived and they announced, "It's a girl!" I thought his eyes looked a little overbright.  Mistakenly thinking he was choked up with emotion at the birth of our firstborn, I asked, "So, what do you think?"  He shattered my previous notions when he shook his head and muttered, "I think my peripheral vision is too good." 

Poor, traumatized Derek.  All he wanted was to sit in the waiting room, handing out cigars. 

Okay, I'm officially off track.  Where was I?

Oh, yes.  Turkey bacon and the red-headed stepchild of potato soups.

So instead of crying, your husband will eat more than one bowl of this ugly cousin to your sister's real potato soup.  Because he is, in fact, a good husband. 

To make up for the soup, push back your nightly walk and bake a batch of your delicious peanut butter cookies. 

Go for your evening constitutional.  Walk four miles instead of your usual three because you ate no less than a dozen of those warm, delectable cookies.

Return home.  Thank your husband for staying home with the kids so you could get some fresh air and strengthen your often tenuous hold on sanity.

The next day, cook up the rest of that false bacon for your children.  Then vow never to allow that abomination into the house again.

3 comments:

  1. Note to self: never try to pass off turkey bacon as the real thing, Aaron will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually wasn't too bad by itself- Adelaide loved it. However, in that soup, it was... it was...*shudder*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only eat turkey bacon - so note to self, do not serve it to my brother...

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.