Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's Inevitable

The older I get, the more like my mother I seem to become.  I am often reminded of this in rather subtle ways, but every once in a while it's more like a smack in the face than a gentle reminder. 

I was going through Adelaide's birthday pictures yesterday, and happened across this photo:




I remember many pictures where my mother is cheerfully cheesing, and I (and/ or my sisters) are scowling or staring sullenly at the camera.

Or how about this one?




Adelaide's preschool graduation was yesterday afternoon, and before we left, I wanted to snap a few pictures.  I took her out onto the front porch because I can't seem to take a decent picture with a flash to save my life.  As I stepped back with the camera, she immediately spun around and said, "I don't want you to take my picture!"  She only turned back around after I asked her to do some ballet for the camera. 



Passe




Bowing after her impromptu performance


I'm sorry, who took dance lessons for 15 years?  Oh, right, that was me.  Looks like she's going to be just like her mother. 

As each little preschooler crossed the stage yesterday to receive their diploma, their teacher said, "And when so-and-so grows up, she wants to be a so-and-so."  Among the girls, there were ballerinas, princesses, a cheerleader, a few doctors.  The boys wanted to be football and baseball players, construction workers, policemen and firemen. 

Adelaide was the first one to cross the stage, and her teacher announced, "When Adelaide grows up, she wants to be a mommy." 

I just can't seem to get away from this whole daughters-turning-into-their-mothers thing.




But maybe that's not such a bad thing.







Note:  There is supposed to be an accent over the 'e' in "passe," but I couldn't figure out how to get it in there.  I am enough of a spelling and grammar freak that I had to include this footnote explaining that.  Over and out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.