Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Any Given Winter Evening

7:10 pm

Scene:  After helping Derek put the kids to bed, I have changed into my workout clothes, heavy coat, hat, and mittens, and am currently trudging my way to the gym, four blocks from our house.

My mood is gloomy and sullen.


Kristy's Brain:

I hate exercising.


Why am I doing this?  It's freezing out here.  Actually, it's well below freezing.  I could lose a finger/toe/ear!  Is a workout really worth a lost appendage?


Ouch!  Why don't those people trim that branch?  I swear it goes out of it's way to smack me every time I walk past this house.


My knee hurts.


My back hurts.


I hate this.


I could be at home, curled up on the couch next to Derek, reading a book/ watching old Friends or Frasier episodes/ playing a rousing game of Quiddler, but nooooo, I have to go work out.


It's too cold out.  I can't even breathe; it hurts my lungs.


Exercise is stupid.




-----------------------------------------------------




8:25 pm

Scene:  I have just finished my workout.  (Imaginary) Animated woodland creatures are frolicking gaily around my ankles as I lope home.

My mood is happy and buoyant.


Kristy's Brain:

I love exercising!


Aaaah!  Feel that crisp, winter air!  This weather is just perfect for running!


I feel fantastic!  


Maybe I should go ahead and run an extra mile tonight!


Maybe I should start exercising twice a day!


I'm so glad I went to the gym!


Exercise is wonderful!






------------------------------------------------------




Fortunately, my normal temperament is usually somewhere in between these two extremes, because I don't know which is more annoying, pre- or post-workout me.

1 comment:

  1. The "7:10" version of myself always wins--I don't know what the other personality would look like! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.