Friday, January 13, 2012

Laaaassie!

I feel bad for Adelaide.

The reason I feel bad for her is because I have allergies.  And not just feel-like-you-have-a-slight-head-cold-every-once-in-awhile allergies, but Paul from the Wonder Years allergies.   Have to have inhalers strategically placed throughout your home and car and carry an Epipen in your bag kind of allergies.

Normally they don't affect our kids too much.  I try not to wander through giant fields of ragweed and avoid Red Lobster like it might kill me (because it could, ha...ha?).

In the past year or so, however, Adelaide has begun asking for a pet.  She knows I'm allergic to cats and dogs (I know, I know, it completely sucks to be my kids), and that, for now at least, those two animals are out.  So she's moved right on to smaller species, like turtles, hamsters, birds, etc.

Having grown up with pets, I am fully aware what would happen if we ever brought any of these animals home.  The first couple weeks (optimistically speaking), the kids would be all over them.  Feeding them, cleaning their cages, paying attention to them.  Slowly but surely, all responsibility would fall to me, Mom.

Right now is just not a good time for added responsibility.  Our kids are still young enough that I spend half my days up to my elbows in some kind of bodily fluid.  Or I'm putting every last kitchen utensil back in it's drawer.  Or I'm scrubbing chalk off the wall.  Or I'm trying to get lotion out of the carpet.  The last thing I need is an extra body to clean up after.

If Adelaide whined or threw a fit after we told her "No, you cannot have a fish right now", or "No, you cannot have a lizard ever," I wouldn't feel so bad.  That kind of behavior causes any and all sympathy to evaporate from my being.

Instead, a few days ago, Adelaide found a ladybug crawling up the wall of her bedroom.  She got it to crawl onto her finger, ran over and looked into my face, eyes shining, and breathlessly asked, "Mom, can I have a ladybug as a pet?  Please?"

She may as well have asked for "More gruel, please?"  That's how guilty I felt.

Maybe she could get a hamster.  I'm sure God didn't give me a deficient sense of smell for no reason.


4 comments:

  1. As long as you don't have a cat and Adelaide, Atticus or Caedmon won't stumble upon a decapitated hamster. Hence why none of our kids will ever have any small animal that a coyote or a cat could kill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession: I keep coming back and reading your blog b/c I love your way of expressing yourself (my sis was right!) But I haven't had time to comment lately, so I may comment on several posts this evening as I get a few minutes.

    But at this moment, just have to say dwarf hamsters are really fun pets--my son used to even build Lego houses for his when he was about 6yo! :) And as an aside, the responsibility doesn't have to fall on you to care for the pet--the responsibility just falls on you to make sure as a parent you teach your child responsibility and make them take care of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph- Poor Harry Potter Price. I hope his death was quick, at least. And to make matters worse with Adelaide, I let her check out the movie "Homeward Bound" from the library last week. Not a wise move on the pet front.

    Shonya- Hmmm, dwarf hamsters... do they come with little suits of armor and beards? Because that would be awesome. I have had the thought that a small pet would be a good responsibility-teacher for the kiddos. Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Out of ALL of the movies she chooses that one?! That movie makes me want to get another dog, and Sam is more than enough! Also, it was Ed who decided to end Harry Potter Price's life so I highly doubt it was quick. That cat is mean!

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.