Friday, January 27, 2012

Wisdom Is In The Eye Of The Beholder. Or Something.

I think my kids are funny.  They say and do funny things.

I am perfectly aware, however, that they are not alone in this.  Most kids are pretty funny (unless they're really, really annoying- you know the ones I'm talking about).

I recently started teaching Adelaide's Kindergarten class at church.  Another lady and I switch off, so I only teach every other Sunday.  25 5- and 6-year olds for an hour and a half.  That's a lot of funny.

Two weeks ago, we were talking about Solomon.  I told them that when Solomon was young, he got to ask God for anything he wanted-anything at all.  Then, of course, I asked the class, "If you could ask God for anything, what would it be?"

Hands flew into the air.

"A horse!"

"A unicorn!"

"The movie 'Rio'!"

"A video game!"

"ONE MILLION RICE CRISPY TREATS!"

That last one was from a kid that I'm pretty sure is going to be one of my secret favorites.  I know, I know, teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but hey, I'm not a real teacher, and I'm pretty careful to treat all the kids exactly the same.

But, c'mon, if rice crispy treats had been around back in Solomon's days, who knows?  Maybe he would have passed up wisdom for a delicious, crispy, buttery, marshmallowy treat.

Or maybe there's a lost Proverb somewhere concerning rice crispy treats that was waaaay ahead of it's time.

You don't know.

What I bet you do know is that maybe I shouldn't be teaching this class.

Oh, well, only two more days until I get to see those comical kids again!

4 comments:

  1. I think you would be a great teacher! I like the kid that wanted a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised there weren't more animal requests. And the only reason I'm able to handle a class that size is because there are four adult teachers/helpers in there at a time. I don't know how Adelaide's Kindergarten teacher does it by herself with 19 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i worked in a school before i stayed home, and the kids were FULL of hilarious stuff. during the last election, the teacher asked the kids if they wanted to share who they would vote for if they were old enough, and why. one kid said, 'i would vote for john mccain because i don't think black people should be president.'

    whut...do you even say to that?

    and there you have it. from the lips of a child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, Paige... I have nothing. I don't even... no.

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.