Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Samson and Rapunzel

You know how much fun it is to be around a little kid on Christmas Eve?  They're all excited and anxious and a little bit crazy just waiting for the next day to arrive.  Just being near them is enough to get you hyped up (and possibly drive you a little bit insane).

That's kind of how I felt the previous weekend.  I was down visiting my sisters, both of whom are expecting their first babies.  I got to experience a vicarious thrill just being surrounded by so much eager anticipation.

At this point, my middle sister is probably edging the younger one out on eagerness, simply because she's due any day now, so she's got the whole can't-wait-to-meet-my-baby thing going on combined with a fair amount of I'm-so-done-being-pregnant.

I'm super excited to see this baby, too, for many reasons; the foremost of which is to find out just how hairy it is.

Let me explain.

My sister and her husband are both very hairy- not in a sideshow freak/ front page of the National Enquirer kind of way- more like a shampoo commercial/ no amount of product will ever make mere mortals' hair look like that.  As a result, I am fully expecting their baby girl to exit the womb with long, shiny, chestnut-colored hair.  She'll have to get her first haircut at one month, and her hairdresser will call it The Mane- the same title that has been bestowed upon my sister's hair.

Added to this is the fact that over the weekend, my brother-in-law mentioned their most recent ultrasound, and that the technician was amazed at the amount of hair they could see.  I said something like, "What, could you see her hair floating gently in the amniotic fluid?"  I was joking.

He said, "Yes, you could."  He was not joking.

I'm thinking about starting a pool amongst family members where you not only guess the weight and length of the baby, but where you also must give an estimate on the length of hair- in inches, not centimeters.

I'll go first:  8 lbs, 5 oz, 20 inches long, hair length... let's go with right around 4 inches.

Believe it or not, that's a conservative guess.

6 comments:

  1. My guess is 8lb 3oz, 20 1/2 inches long, with 3/4 inch hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it will be hilarious if she's completely bald.

      Delete
  2. if your sister is cool with it, you have to post pictures on here after the girlie is born. i'm SO CURIOUS!!! (i thought atticus had a lot of hair, but we definitely couldn't see it in the ultrasound!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure you see a picture one way or another, Paige.

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing she will end up having ginger hair at 1/2 an inch. Aand be 8 pounds 9 ounces, 19 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, you're hoping for a big old ginger baby, aren't you? I think I would laugh hysterically if their baby ended up with red hair- although there's certainly enough of it circulating through the family to make it possible.

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.