Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Birthday Girl

Remember how, just about a year ago, I dedicated the whole week preceding our daughter's birthday to posts about Adelaide?

Well, in the past year I've either become a terrible mother, a terrible blogger, or both, because Adelaide's birthday was over a week ago and I haven't written anything about it yet.  Or maybe I've just been really busy. We'll go with busy.

She's six now.  Six, and almost done with Kindergarten.  Six, and either making me laugh really hard or completely exasperating me with all the things she says.

Yesterday's conversation could actually be filed in both columns:


After coming home from school, the three kiddos were running around the front yard.  Caedmon was watching me, waiting for the moment when I would look away and he could dart into the street.  It's one of his favorite games.  Adelaide was leading Atticus around in some sort of imaginary play.  Every once in a while I would hear something about "Monster!" and "Run!"

At one point, the older two ventured close enough for me to hear exactly what they were saying.

Adelaide:  "Atticus- run!  It's him!  IT'S THE CHINESE PERSON!  Ruuuuun awaaaaay!"

Atticus:  "Aaaaah!"

At first I thought I must have misheard her- until I distinctly heard her yell, "Get away from us, Chinese Person!"

Before I go on, let me be very clear:  Our family has nothing against Chinese people.  Sorry, Chinese people.


I decided it was time to intervene.  "Adelaide!  Could you come over here, please?"

"What?"

"Did I just hear you say, 'Get away from us, Chinese Person'?"

"Yeah.  There's a bad Chinese Person trying to get us!"

"Why?"

"Because we're in China."  She said this in a long-suffering voice, like God, why did you give me such stupid parents?


"Adelaide, I don't really think that's appropriate," I told her.

"Why not?"

"Well, I've never heard you say, 'Get away, American Person."

"That's because American people are just people."

"Adelaide, Chinese people are just people, too!"  I was trying really hard, here.

She disagreed and the debate disintegrated from there.  Again- my apologies to the Chinese community at large.


All that was still better than yesterday morning, when I made her cry by not putting enough cereal in her bowl.  When I asked her whether that was really something worth crying about, she sobbed, "You just don't want me to grow and get taller than you!"


Happy Belated Birthday, Adelaide!





8 comments:

  1. Great, wonderful, so drama is a character trait that Adelaide and Aria share quite well... Can't wait until Aria is 6... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually quite funny... until she starts crying because "I'm laughing at her again!"

      Delete
  2. What a horrible mother to so selfishly keep your height to yourself. LOL Oh, kids say the funniest things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to be somewhat obsessed with becoming taller than me, which wouldn't be too hard, but then she also wants to be taller than Derek, who is 6'5''. We'll see how she feels in ten years.

      Delete
  3. Oh I'm glad I'm not alone in this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I always chuckle when I'm around Adi.

      Delete
  4. I love her justification --it makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she always has an answer for everything. It's marvelous.

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.