Sunday, July 22, 2012

Oh My Goodness, I Love You

Yesterday, Adelaide and I got to go on a Mommy-Daughter Date.

I don't know if it's because I'm usually busy corralling her brothers or I just can't hear her when she does talk, but it's been awhile since I spent a day really focusing just on Adelaide and paying sole attention to what she has to say.

I had forgotten how funny she is, and just how delighted I am with half the stuff that comes out of her mouth.

We started at Chili's for lunch.

"Mom, I highly recommend the quesadillas, but you can get whatever you want.  But you should probably get the quesadillas.  And you should probably go ahead and look over the menu before we start talking so that you can pick what you want to eat.  Then I'll tell you why I think they named this restaurant 'Chili's'."

"Oh, my goodness, Adelaide.  I just love you."



After lunch we went to a couple stores, browsing and looking around.  Upon entering a clothing store, Adelaide picked up the sleeve of a shirt hanging next to her and asked, "Mom, what is this?"

"It's a peasant blouse."

"Well, it looks like a peasant blouse exploded all over the inside of this store."

And it did.  Everywhere you looked, peasant-hippy-wear.

"Oh my goodness, Adelaide.  I love you."



Right before we went to the theater, we went to a gas station to pick up some sweet contraband.  Adelaide spent nearly ten minutes perusing the candy aisle before finally choosing a giant, swirled, multi-colored lollipop.  As we exited the store, she happily told me, "I chose this one because it will make me feel really old-fashioned while I'm eating it and I can pretend to be Laura Ingalls Wilder while watching a movie.  This is pretty much the best day ever."

"Oh my goodness, I love you, Adelaide."



Then we went to see the movie "Brave."  We got there a little early, and Adelaide was inspecting the curtains covering the screen in the theater while we waited for the previews to start.  When the lights dimmed and the curtain began to rise, she scrunched down in her seat next to me and whispered, "I'm a little bit frightened of those curtains because I keep thinking something scary is hiding behind them.  I thought the same thing with the curtains at The Nutcracker, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to alarm anyone."

"Oh my goodness, I love you.  Also, I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for?"

"Genetic paranoia."


9 comments:

  1. "I didn't want to alarm anyone."!! That is just a great comment.

    I spend a lot of time with only my daughter, since she's an only, but I find that I really focus in more on what she has to say when just the two of us are going somewhere in the car, or relaxing together in the pool. This is when we discuss how taxes work, the reasons it's a bad idea to have a baby while you're a teenager, what it would be like to live on Mars, how we see color, etc. Sometimes Emma has to preface a question to me with "Now, I just need a sentence, Mom, not a whole paragraph!" Seeing those personalities emerge through conversations is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only child or not, I always think it's important to be very intentional about spending time with our kiddos outside the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. Sounds like you're doing exactly that- she's lucky to have you!

      Delete
  2. Ooooooh! If she really wants to feel like Laura Ingalls Wilder you should make her a muff for Christmas. Only cool kids have muffs. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am officially intrigued. I wonder if my mom has a pattern for a muff? I've certainly never made one before- looks like I'll need to be keeping an eye out for faux fur on sale. I'm a little afraid of what results would turn up in a Google search for "muff pattern," though.

      Delete
  3. chuckle, I can certainly see why. She sounds like quite the character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my word. Can our daughters get together? They can spend hours together discussing their favorite candies and dissecting the plot of the Little House series and then talk about how they're scared of All Things Perfectly Normal. Maybe Sadie can teach her about the injustice of Pluto being downgraded from a planet. A grand time will be had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'm thrilled at the thought of another little girl just like Adelaide... or terrified. Because those all sound like things our daughter would absolutely love to do.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.