Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Also Don't Let Her Wear Scalps On Her Belt

A couple months ago, Adelaide opened her mouth to say something, and I noticed something strange.

She had two rows of teeth on the bottom.

Because I possess such a logic-driven brain, my first, panicked thought was, Why is our daughter turning into a shark?

Then reason took over and I realized her adult teeth had simply grown in behind the baby teeth, and no wonder- Adelaide had classmates losing teeth her first week of preschool, but here she was, weeks before first grade, all those milk teeth still in her mouth.

I checked her front baby teeth, and one was pretty loose.


After months of wiggling that loose tooth, it was all but ready to fall out.  When she pushed it with her tongue, it fell forward and just kind of hung there by a small scrap of gum.  A few nights ago she asked me to pull it, but it wasn't until last night that I finally gave in.  We tight a piece of thread around it, and after a couple false starts, it was finally free:  She had lost her first tooth.

We cleaned it up, and started talking about placing it under her pillow.  I followed her into her bedroom, and as she climbed up to her top bunk, she asked, "What will the tooth fairy do with my tooth?"  Then she gave me a sideways, sardonic glance and added, "I know you're the tooth fairy, by the way."

Okay.

"Well, she'll probably put it in a little bag, then stick it in your baby book."

At that point she did something that I should probably have learned to expect by now, but still often catches me by surprise:  She burst into tears.

"Adelaide!  Why are you crying?"

*Sob, hiccup, sob*  "I don't want you to put my tooth in my baby book!"  *Sob, sob*

"Why not?"

"B-b-b-because, I wanted to make a fun craft with it!" she wailed.

"Adelaide, no.  NO.  I will not allow you to be the kid who walks around the playground with jewelry MADE OF TEETH."

Due to the sudden increase in volume of her weeping, I'm pretty sure I'd guessed right about which particular "fun craft" she'd had in mind for her tooth.


I gotta say, so far this is shaping up to be a pretty special year.

12 comments:

  1. Ha ha! That's an issue I didn't encounter, but Emma got and lost her teeth on the early side, so perhaps we lucked out :-)

    Emma pulled one of her own teeth out once --I think it was the fourth of the four front ones that come out first, and she wanted to eat a piece of corn on the cob. She just yanked that loose tooth outta there! Of course, she still couldn't eat corn on the cob because now she had NO front teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, that Emma is hardcore- pulling out her own teeth? It's hard to blame her, though, I'd do a lot for corn on the cob, too.

      Delete
  2. Our tooth fairy just threw all those teeth into the trash, including some of my nieces and nephews teeth, which was Not Good, because their tooth fairy wanted to keep them.

    Making jewelry! What a clever idea! Well, people do it with sharks' teeth, why not people teeth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of waffling back and forth on the baby book thing- I think being able to look back and see your first lost tooth would be kind of neat, but then I think of someone stumbling upon the book 100 years from now and finding some dead lady's tooth, and it becomes creepy.

      Delete
    2. That's funny! "some dead lady's tooth"!

      My husband has all of Emma's baby teeth in a box somewhere. I have no idea why. And, yeah, it is a bit creepy :-)

      Delete
    3. What's really funny is a husband keeping all his daughter's teeth in a box and his wife thinking it's creepy.

      Delete
  3. And they get smaller...we're suckers who have kept the teeth and as they keep shrinking I hope someday they just shrink out of existance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered if the... calcium?... or whatever it is would start to deteriorate as time passed. This whole idea is getting more and more gross.

      Delete
  4. Tee, hee, what a fun life you lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, I think the same thing when I read your blog!

      Delete
  5. For real, my mom still has an old asprin jar of MY baby teeth. They are still all there, sorry, they dont shrink out of existance :) My kids teeth are all in the trash, thank you. Well, except Allison, who keeps hers with the little boxes that you get at school when you loose one there. She has quite a nice collection. Stephanie Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, a bunch of teeth in a bottle? That could make a neat rattle for Adelaide's babies some day.

      And I may have just taken this whole teeth thing a bit far.

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.