Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Mother-Son Bonding

Caedmon is becoming more independent.

He's 22 months old now- which means in two short months, he will be two years old.

Two, two, two, two.

More and more often, he's asking to walk.  When I'm carrying him, when I try to put him in shopping carts, anytime he sees his older siblings walking.

He doesn't want to sit in his high chair anymore.  I try to let him sit at the table with Atticus and Adelaide at lunchtime, because it's just not happening at supper- he's still way too messy.

He hates being told he's too little- especially when it pertains to something the A-team are currently involved in.


One of the few times he still lets me baby him a bit is at naptime and bedtime.  I read him a couple books of his choosing, pick him up, and he permits me a few seconds of cuddling before lunging for his crib, signifying our time together is over.

Today's naptime was the same.  We read one of his favorites by Sandra Boynton followed by Goodnight Moon, put the books away, and I picked him up.  He must have been feeling especially generous today; I got a good thirty seconds of swaying him back and forth as he sucked on his fingers.  I decided to make the most of this moment and softly said, "I love you, Caedmon."

He picked his head up off my shoulder, looked me in the eye, and replied,

"Where Daddy?"


Hmph.  "Daddy's at work."

"Daddy-work-home-buppertime?"

"Yes, Daddy's at work, but he won't be home at suppertime tonight; it will be a bit later."

"Okay."

I laid him in his crib, and began to rub his back, the way I normally do for a few brief moments before exiting the room.  Today, however, he said, "No, I do it," and did his best to wrench his arm around and rub himself on the back while lying on his belly.


As I stood in the doorway, preparing to leave his room, I tried one last time.

"Goodnight, Caedmon.  I love you."

"Daddy work?"

Sigh.  "Yes, Daddy's at work.  I love you!"

"I want Daddy."

"GOOD NIGHT, CAEDMON."


Any guesses how our bedtime routine will go tonight?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that Daddy must really be something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "something" is a good word... ;-)
      Never fear - I'm chopped liver in this house too and neither of my kids are cuddly - unless it is super hot in the house and THEN Aria wants to sit on my lap and hug me all.the.time...

      Delete
  2. Guess you'll have to get your baby "fix" from your little nieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the two times a year I get to see them will totally hold me over.

      Delete
  3. I think derek coaches him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel a little better if I thought that were the case.

      Delete
  4. I've heard boys and girls are quite different in the cuddling department --since I only have a girl, I can't compare. However, my girl is still cuddling in my lap, and she'll be 12 in a couple of months.

    I guess you'll just have to snatch those boy-kisses when you can, huh? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is more genetic than that, Kristy's not a cuddler herself

      Delete
    2. Practice, practice, practice.

      Delete
    3. It's true, I'm not much of a cuddler, but I still would like to with our "baby." Our other son is probably the cuddliest kid we have, though.

      Delete
  5. I would chuckle, but as a mother of three boys myself, I well know that feeling of losing them to Daddy. All the "experts" (and even my own instincts) say it's a good thing, but it's still kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how quickly it's happened with our boys- around age 1. Within weeks of weaning them, they realized their loyalties were no longer with Mommy, and it's been all Daddy ever since.

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.