Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Make Lists, Not Anorexia

Are you trying to figure out what that title means?  Me, too.

I was going to post a random list today- because, you know, I love lists- and it occurred to me that I especially love to make lists when the rest of my life is somewhat disorderly.  It's like my way of creating a small amount of order in my life.

Then it occurred to me that eating disorders often start the same way: as a way of establishing control in one's life- "Hey, I may not be able to control much of anything in my life right, but at least I can still control my body!"

So what I think I'm saying is that you should make a list if you need to assert your control.  Lists good, eating disorders bad.


Jeez, someone get me a muzzle.  Or, you know... something that locks my fingers together to keep me from typing.  SAVE ME FROM MYSELF.


Let's just start the list, shall we?



  • Adelaide hates the 1st grade.  I'm not sure what to do about it.  She seems to be performing just fine on an academic level, but every day she comes home unhappy.  And cranky.  And takes it out on her brothers, which seems to make them feel like we could do with one less female in the family.  I'll probably write a longer post about this topic soon, but right now, I'm pretty much at a complete loss as to what to do for her.  Ideas, anyone?
  • I recently read a statistic that the average American checks out 7 items per year from their local public library.  Really?  Only seven?  And apparently the month of September is "Get a library card" month.  People need to be told to get a library card?  That whole article made me feel depressed, and defeated, and a little disbelieving.  Seven?  That can't be right.  I feel like if people would just walk in and see everything their local library had to offer, they'd be there a lot more often.  Things like Books! DVD's!  Free internet access!  Book clubs!  Story time!  Newspapers!  Smart people!
  • Speaking of which, it's Banned Books Week!  While I understand the need to censor certain books for certain people (there are books that we don't allow in our house, so our family does, in effect, ban books), it's hard for me to read the vast lists of books that have both been banned in the past and are currently being banned, because some of them are such great books, and some of the reasons for doing so are so stupid.  To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the most banned books of all time, and it's one of my very favorites.  And while I'm not surprised to see Harry Potter on the list I can't help but think, Really?  REALLY?
  • For some reason I've been reading more nonfiction than usual lately.  I recently read Strength In What Remains, about a young man who witnessed the start of the civil war and subsequent genocide in his native country of Burundi, and somehow managed to escape to the US, where he began the difficult climb from the very bottom of the socioeconomic ladder in New York City all the way up to medical school.  Before that, I read a book about the American ambassador who lived in Berlin in the years just before WWII.  Both books had very difficult scenes to read and described some truly heinous atrocities.  It was in the middle of one part of Strength In What Remains where the fleeing young man witnesses a rebel soldier throwing a baby into a pyre with one hand and eating a corn cob with the other that my stomach rolled and I began thinking about all the horrible sins perpetrated in WWII and in other genocides, and it occurred to me that the terrible weight of all those and every single sin in history combined is what Jesus had to knowingly bear when he went to the cross for us.  It makes me feel disgusted with the human race and simultaneously uplifted to know that He loves us that much.
  • We got a postcard in the mail letting Derek know that "It's time to get your vision checked!"  Oh, and it's from the eye doctor he saw one time IN CONNECTICUT.  They've somehow managed to track us through four moves across three states, because we're still getting regular postcards from them.  They should give tips to the CIA.  Because, you know, I'm sure the CIA has trouble with that kind of thing.
  • I got a text from my sister yesterday saying that her daughter (my sweet niece Charlotte) is thisclose to crawling, except for one pesky leg that just won't cooperate- so all she can do right now is crawl in circles.  Which gave Derek and I a good laugh.
  • And here's my other niece, Vada, the blondest and rolliest baby ever.  (Maybe not ever.  But definitely in this post.)

And I haven't seen either one of them in MONTHS.  (Well, it's been about a month.  But that's a long time in baby land!)





The end.





4 comments:

  1. I used the public library a lot as a kid. And then again, as an adult before I had a kid. (I didn't have time to read books when Emma was younger, so I just stopped.) Then, a few years ago my husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas. What, take the time to a bookstore? or buy a book online and have it delivered? or go to the library and then have to make another trip to return it? Um, no. Books now instantly fall from the sky to my Kindle, and I'm officially addicted. Plus, I can change the size of the font for my old(er) eyes! Total win.

    Hmm . . . Adelaide and 1st grade. That is a bummer, and I hope you can tease out what is making her unhappy about it. Maybe it's something that can be changed somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you check out e-books from your local library? I know we can from the bigger library one town over. I'm holding out as long as I can against e-readers, but I have to admit, being able to change the font sounds especially helpful.

      Delete
    2. Our library does have some e-books you can borrow, but not a lot yet. When it gets some I want to read, I'll be happy to go that route!

      And I don't want to leave you with the impression that I don't think public libraries are important --I think they're VERY important. Not everyone can afford new technology, and everyone deserves access to books!

      Delete
  2. List-making definitely = beaver.
    Just fyi, I wrote "shave my legs" on a list today. I'm not sure what that says about me. OCD, obsessive freak about writing EVERYTHING on a list so I can cross it off? Absent-minded to the point I have to write it down so it will get done? Or I have incredibly hairy legs because I have a 2 year old and don't trust him enough to take long showers so I keep skipping shaving my legs but tomorrow night I'm going to Les Mis (insert happy dance) and I think that is an *OCCASION* worthy of leg shaving?

    I'm sorry--what were we talking about? Oh yes, YOUR list. So sorry to hear Miss A is not liking first grade. Maybe she has a mean teacher. Maybe she is bored. Maybe she wants to be homeschooled. (ornery giggle)

    And seven library items per year?! No wonder this nation is in its current mess. That is so shocking I don't even know what to say. grumble, grumble

    Your non-fiction books sound very thought-provoking. The last couple fiction books I've read have disappointed me (yes, even The Eyre Affair, sigh. I'm just picky about my fiction. . .)

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.