Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy All The Time vs Hates Everything

A couple days ago, I had too much to do at naptime and didn't get my workout in.  I knew I wouldn't be able to walk that evening, as Derek had to work, so after we picked Adelaide up from the bus stop, I changed into my workout clothes, slid the Denise Austin DVD I had checked out from the library into the DVD player, and prayed the kids would entertain themselves for thirty minutes while I exercised .

I should have foreseen what did happen; the minute the tv clicked on all three kids came scrambling (I haven't let them watch tv since April- a story for another day) and stood mesmerized as the opening credits flashed on the screen.

Soon enough, Denise started her jumping and lunging and twisting, I followed along, and the kids did, too, which was funny enough in and of itself.  They were seriously into it, especially Atticus.

The thirty minutes passed quickly, and I turned the tv off.  Mission accomplished.

I found myself in the same situation yesterday; picking Adelaide up, changing, inserting DVD, getting ready to workout.

The boys were just as excited as they had been the day before, but Adelaide remained on the couch, briefly glanced up when Denise appeared, and said, "Oh, it's Miss Perky again," in a dead, humorless voice.

I decided that this was one rabbit worth following down the rabbit-hole, paused the DVD, and turned to our daughter.

"Adelaide, do you know what 'perky' means?"

"Yes.  It means really happy and excited, like: *performs wild spastic dance with her eyes rolled back in her head*.  You know, like Odie."

"Odie?"

"You know- Odie.  Odie and Garfield?  Odie is happy all the time and perky, and Garfield is funny and hates everything."

I looked back at Denise Austin's manic smile frozen on the screen.  She is undeniably perky.  Then something occurred to me.

"Adelaide, do you think I'm like Odie?"

She began to speak, then hesitated before carefully replying, "Well... I think you try to be like Odie, but really you're more like Garfield."


I feel so transparent.


10 comments:

  1. Adelaide is one smart cookie. I love her description of "perky" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cookie who evidently dislikes perkiness. She seems to be quite the Garfield, herself.

      Delete
  2. That is SO funny! I don't personally know Adelaide (well, or you either, but I FEEL like I know you at least some), but it sounds like she might be a Prophet, a person willing to speak truth to power. Either that, or she's practicing to be a teenager in a few years. Parenting manuals don't say this, but that behavior can start way before teenagerdom.

    I would like to think that Garfield moms have better parenting skills than the Odie moms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoken like a true Garfield mom.

      I love the thought of her brutal honesty being a gift from God. I should probably treat more of my kids' character traits in that fashion.

      Good stuff.

      Delete
  3. Giggle.

    Kids are waaaaaay too smart. Take a tip from an older mom--NEVER ask kids for their perspective on you. They see everything. We aren't fooling them a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning this the hard way. Why do I insist on learning things the hard way?

      I guess the lesson sticks better that way.

      Delete
  4. I think I need Adelaide to be my life coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're one of the few people on this earth she'd agree to work with.

      Delete
  5. that is so funny. I don't care for perky either. And she is probably too smart for her own good. i'll pray for you kristi, hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always sound sadistically gleeful in your comments. I'm assuming this happens when you become a grandparent and get to watch the next generation stumble aimlessly through the throes of parenting.

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.