Monday, December 17, 2012

One Post, Two Ways

I really couldn't decide how to write this post.  So I decided to put both versions on here.  It's like a Choose-Your-Adventure-Novel around here today (anyone else remember those?).






Version 1:


Things have been busy around here lately.

I bet it's been the same for you, too.

One day it's a cookie exchange.  The next it's a Christmas party with friends.  Then it's a Christmas party for work.  Then you need to send in sprinkles for your kid's class.  Then you need to send juice.  Then you need to send her in pajamas.  Then you need to send a bunch of paper towels.  Then it's the Christmas program.  And then something else and something else and something else.

This morning pretty well summed up what the past few weeks have been like for us.

After picking Adelaide up from school (she was apparently sick, although she's organizing the toy corner as I type this.  Methinks I've been duped.), I sat down to write return addresses on the Christmas cards that I didn't order enough of while the boys went from chasing each other with plush footballs to chasing each other with plastic golf clubs to chasing each other with big glass Mason jar candles they got from a shelf that is evidently low enough for their grubby little hands to reach.  Through it all, I thought that perhaps I was finally getting this whole multi-tasking thing down, until I reviewed what I had just written on the Poovey crew's envelope:

Crisler
220 E 8th St*
Cambridge, Get into time-out right now 50124


In other news, today I learned that I have not broken an old habit of writing down whatever I'm currently saying aloud.  It also comes as no surprise to me that we live in the state of Get Into Time-Out Right Now.

Seems pretty dang accurate, actually.



*Not our actual address, creeper.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 2:



Things have been busy around here lately.

I bet it's been the same for you, too.

One day it's a cookie exchange.  The next it's a Christmas party with friends.  Then it's a Christmas party for work.  Then you need to send in sprinkles for your kid's class.  Then you need to send juice.  Then you need to send her in pajamas.  Then you need to send a bunch of paper towels.  Then it's the Christmas program.  And then something else and something else and something else.


Then 26 people are violently murdered in an elementary school and now 20 children are dead.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I just can't stop thinking about it.  I'll be going about my day, writing a blog post, then WHAM, there it is.  I'm guessing it's what most other people are feeling, too:  torn between wanting to keep the people of Newtown, Connecticut in our thoughts and prayers and realizing that constant rumination doesn't really help anyone, and that there's nothing wrong with trying to capture as much Christmas cheer as possible.

Still, it's hard to be frivolous or funny when all you can think about are the families for whom the holiday season is most likely forever ruined.

So, yeah.  That's where I'm at today.







7 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Somehow, it seems wrong to be trivial in any way, and yet we have children who are still looking forward to Christmas. So perhaps, like your blog, we live with the dichotomy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose this dichotomy is our new normal.

      Delete
  2. I can't think or talk about it without crying. Picture these kids parents waking up on Christmas without the joy of their kids and having to figure out what to do with with their babies toys is more than I can bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's the thought of dropping your kids off at school, and having no idea it was the last time you would see them. What if you had had a rough morning- running late, yelling at your kids, etc? Just terrible.

      Delete
  3. Your post expresses a lot of what I feel. I have to be careful about the 'constant rumination' thing - I had real trouble with that after 9/11/01.

    The frivolity of the season veers from feeling entirely appropriate to feeling totally wrong and out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. For me, with 9/11 I had "bad guys" to blame, at least. With this, the problem seems to be us, and how do you fix that?

      Delete
  4. Well, I'd rather choose ending number one if you don't mind. Ending number two blows my mind. Living in a fallen world is certainly not easy.

    But back to ending number one, yes, of course I remember the choose-your-own-adventures (ha!) and the fake address and reference to creepers made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.