Monday, January 14, 2013

A List. For You. On Monday.

I'm tired.  I bet I know what will make me feel better:   A list!  (Obviously.)



  • Derek got back from his annual ESPN Golf Extravaganza Saturday night.  No, it's not something sponsored by ESPN; it's a little vacation he takes to Florida each January with a bunch of his former ESPN co-workers where he gets to golf his big heart out.  I didn't mention it last week because... well, because I'm not crazy.  I'm not sure if you had noticed, but this blog exists on a little something called the internet, which means just about anyone can read it, which means advertising the fact that my husband isn't home is on par (geddit?) with draping our house in neon and issuing an invitation to home invaders everywhere to come pillage to their crooked souls' content.  NO THANK YOU.  Anyway, the kids and I survived the week- it's actually getting a lot easier the older they get, shocker- and he made it back home safely.  Derek and I have also discussed that in return, I'll get to go see my sisters and their families some three-day-weekend soon (which I just remembered I haven't talked to them about yet- Surprise and You're Welcome, Kelli and Steph!).

  • Adelaide has a new love:  Checkers.  She's gotten to the point where she can beat the computer 10 times out of 12 on the Easy level, and I can only win against her by a increasingly-narrow margin.  This is partially due to the fact that she played a whole bunch with her Daddy over Christmas break, and he gave her helpful instructions like, "Strategize:  Always think at least two moves ahead."  Which she, of course, took to heart.  So when she plays me, who thinks about strategy for the first five moves but then gets bored with checkers and just wants it to be over as quickly as possible, I begin to seem like a less than worthy opponent.  I'm terrified Chess is next.

  • I looked down at both Adelaide and Caedmon when we got to church yesterday and realized that there was a two- to three- inch gap between their socks and the hems of their pants, and the sleeves of their shirts ended far above the wrist.  They appear to be going through a growth spurt.  AGAIN.  (Who could ever have seen this coming?)

  • Does anybody know what the story on Downton Abbey is?  I know it's a BBC show that I think airs on PBS around here, but what I want to know is:  What is with the obsession?  Is this something I should be watching?  Does anyone have any idea?

  • I've started getting seed catalogs in the mail, which makes me anxious for spring.  (Only 5 more months 'til my final frost date!  Holy cow, that's depressing.)  I cannot wait to get back in my flower beds.  They look so sad right now, all blanketed in white, a few spindly pieces of brown spearing up through the snow here and there.  I keep telling myself the snow is good protection for all those bulbs I planted in the fall, and that hopefully these low temps will help kill off more bugs for this summer- particularly the Japanese Beetles.  

  • I just started my Christmas Thank-You's today.  Does this make me a terrible person?  I'll just think of it as me doing my part to extend the holiday cheer well into the new year.  Yeah, that's it.  

11 comments:

  1. YAY! I can't wait to tell Charlotte! Now she's just a mirror for whatever emotion I'm expressing so she'll clap and act excited too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard at this comment, because I imagined a shot of you, watching a sappy movie, weeping and binge eating those little Pirouline cookies, then the camera panning slightly right to find Charlotte weeping and eating right along with you.

      I'm excited, too!

      Delete
    2. P.S. Kelli & Steph, as Kristy is likely not to tell you tell way latter - that three day weekend is Feb.16-18.

      And take your chances invaders, I'll be home.... waiting for you.

      Delete
    3. Haha, I didn't know exactly what weekend it was, so it would have been much later. And the thought of you waiting for home invaders is funny/creepy.

      Delete
  2. paige gets seed catalogs too!

    you two should sit around and look at each other's green thumbs.

    http://onceforalldelivered.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like the kind of thing we would do, and have a ball at it, too.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Only Vada didn't act as excited as I did, she just looked at me and went back to playing with her toys. She's excited but apparently her singing bear is more interesting at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just asked Grant tonight what all the hype was about Downtown Abby. We have the option to watch the first season online through AmazonPrime - don't know if we will or not though. Most of the people that I know that are so gun-ho on the show don't exactly have the same tastes as me. Let me know if you fall victim to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way I'll watch it is if our library gets it, in which case I'll probably be something like #173 in the request queue, and it'll be another year before I get to actually watch Season 1. But at that point, I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. You can suggest the library get it, then you're first in the cue

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.