Friday, January 18, 2013

About the Books Page

As you may or may not have noticed, there's a little tab right up there at the top of the page entitled, "Books."

You further may or may not have noticed that I haven't been updating that page over the past few months.

It's not that I haven't been reading.  Trust me, me not reading is never the answer to any question.  I have, however, been a little short on time recently, and updating the Books page falls to the very bottom of my priority list when I'm busy.  Actually the blog is toward the bottom of the list, anyway, so the Books page is at the bottom of the bottom.  It's far more time consuming than my normal posts, and while I'm always happy when I've done it, carving out that time is sometimes difficult.

Still, I don't like leaving things undone, so when New Year's rolled around, at one point a tiny piece of my tiny brain tentatively put forth the idea of a resolution to update the Books page weekly.

The rest of my brain violently recoiled and threatened that tiny piece with bodily (er, brainily) harm.

This is because I do not do New Year's resolutions.  I have problems with the entire concept of New Year's Day itself.  It has always seemed to me like a very arbitrary holiday, one where someone somewhere closed their eyes, stuck a pin in a calendar, and declared, "There!  That will be the first day of a new year!"

Now, I get that you could say the same thing about most, if not all, holidays.  I realize that Jesus was most likely not born on December 25th, Valentine's Day has become the day that keeps Hallmark in the black, and as for Easter Sunday- even the Church admits they have no idea exactly when Jesus died; Easter Sunday is different every year!  For me, though, those other holidays are about celebrating an event or idea, and I'm okay with that.  New Year's Day- what exactly are we celebrating? I just don't get it.

Wow.  Anyway.

While I did not make a resolution to do so, I will be making more of an attempt to update the Books page on a more regular basis.  This does not affect most of you; I know most of you don't check it- most people don't love to read as much as I do, and that's okay!  I don't know what's wrong with you, but it's okay!  I love you anyway.

So.  I hereby do not resolve but do half-promise to update the Books page somewhat more often than I have in the immediate past.

That's as good as it gets around here, folks.

3 comments:

  1. I am in complete agreement with you on the significance of New Year's Day. That is, it has none. I like to call it the "Arbitrary Marking of the Passage of Time Day", but that's too wordy. I think the ancient Hebrews marked FOUR new year's days. One of them, the new year for the trees, is coming up at the end of this month. But at least they were celebrating something useful.

    I am going now to check the Books tab here. I appreciate your half-promise to update it. I would write more about books myself, but half the time I don't finish the book I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked New Year's Day --it's a cleansing day for me, which only works if the Christmas stuff is cleaned up by that time. I find the build-up to Christmas very stressful, even though I love it, and New Year's Day always feels like the day I can take a deep breath and start focusing on life again. It is arbitrary, but it seems to fall at a good time for me.

    My book page is suffering too, but you've motivated me to update it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO not "most people". Giggle--weird, unique. . .
    This affects me, I do indeed check your books tab (haunt it might be more appropriate) and I dare say I love to read at least as much as you do. ;) So I'm doing a little happy dance here and I hope your "advertising" leads to more comments on that page so I don't look like such a stalker. :)

    Hmmmm, I just typed a big long paragraph trying to explain the difference between the Roman and Jewish calendars and how we actually do know more about when Jesus died because of the Passover, but it sounded. . .stuffy, so I'll just suggest you look it up. It's interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.