Friday, January 25, 2013

Not So Much

And here's the second half of the list:  My Not-So-Favorite Things (January Edition):



  • It's cold.  I've heard all kinds of people complaining about how much they want winter to be over already, but up 'til now, I was doing okay.  On Monday around noon, however, as the boys and I were driving home after running some errands, I looked up at the bank clock and saw that it read +2.  When you have to put the positive sign up there because it could very well be below zero, it's too cold.  And don't even get me started on the windchill.  While entering the library the other day, I saw a young mom dropping some items off at the book drop, her toddler standing next to her, wind blowing in his little face, crying and crying.  Now, I know what you're saying:  he could have been crying over any number things.  Trust me on this one:  his face and the screams coming out of his mouth reflected exactly the way I've felt this whole week when I dare set foot outside our front door.  Good news, though!  The weather guy on the radio said we've got a warm front moving through today, and the high is supposed to get all the way up into the lower 20's!

  • Supper.  I've been in a cooking rut lately; I feel like I'm making the same old things over and over again, so I'm going to all the effort of cooking a meal but then don't even feel like eating it.  (Unless it's soup.  I always feel like soup when it's cold out, but Derek doesn't really like it when I cook potato soup Monday night, chicken noodle soup Tuesday, potato Wednesday, chicken noodle Thursday, etc, etc.)  There is a light at the end of the tunnel, though:  I made a new recipe, Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas, last night, and gracious, were they good- and fast, and easy, and did I mention delicious?  If you're in a food funk, you should definitely consider making these.  Tonight.

  • We're stuck inside.  A direct result of bullet point #1, but I felt this one deserved its own paragraph.  Because Atticus and Caedmon and I?  We're about to kill each other most days.  I definitely can't be as lazy of a mom in the winter as I am in the summer; I keep having to come up with activities and things to do to keep them busy.  No shoving them out the back door and throwing a frisbee and some golf clubs at their backs when it's well below freezing outside.  Unfortunately.  

And that's it.  The fact that my list is all of three points long (and two are directly related) shows me I don't have much to complain about (OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT IT'S COLD).  I should probably take advantage of this (BRUTALLY) cold weather and make this or this or this with the kiddos.  Better than killing each other in a fit of rage-inducing cabin fever, right?




*Watch, now is when someone from Alaska will find this blog and leave me a comment about how I have no idea what cold really is.  And they would be right.*

9 comments:

  1. I realize that throughout childhood, you are the reason we could never have chicken pot pie... BUT. The Pioneer Woman's chicken pot pie is really delicious if you give it a chance. I don't add the celery, but it is bomb. Yes, bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love your not-so-vaguely accusatory tone in that first sentence. Derek loves chicken pot pie, so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet (or the chicken pot pie, har har) and try it.

      Delete
    2. It is a little different from mom's. Instead of having a crust around it like a pie, you put the crust on top. It's creamy and yummy and forces you to eat your vegetables (albeit in a creamy/salty sauce).

      Delete
  2. What you express, about the cold and kids, is the hardest part of parenting, I think. Of course, back when we were kids I think our moms were too busy to bother entertaining us, but I was never able to use that fact to assuage my guilt. Thank goodness kids get older and don't need so much entertainment later on :-)

    We are also getting cabin fever here, and it's totally the cold, since we have basically no snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I saw the funniest analogy to the capricious Wisconsin weather the other day... now if I could only remember where it was. I'm pretty sure it was on the internet, which really narrows it down...

      Delete
  3. Cabin fever is difficult to live through. I am trying to think of what I did during those times. It rarely got as cold here as what you are living through now, but still, we had some snowstorms that forced me to stay indoors with the kids days on end. One time we made an indoor jungle. It used a lot of construction paper, stuffed animals, and masking tape to put everything on the walls.

    How about a color scavenger hunt? pick a color (different color for each child). Have each kid look for a stuffed animal, book, underwear, room of the house, etc in that color.

    I don't know. Good luck. I'm going now to look at your recipe, because i am in a cooking funk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A color scavenger hunt is a *brilliant* idea. Actually, scavenger hunts in general are a great idea that somehow hadn't occurred to me.

      I've been thinking about you a lot this week- hope you're doing okay.

      Delete
  4. Right there with you! Brrr, it's cold and WOW! Kids can get annoying cooped up in the house. So frustrating when it feels like they have *millions* of toys! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Between all their toys, games, and books, they literally have hundreds of things to do. Instead, they prefer to practice irritating each other to death.

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.