Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Raise Your Hand If You Don't Like Playing In Snow


Here's my question:  What is it about snow and kids?  They can't seem to resist its siren call, even when you're pretty sure going out to play in it is going to result in the loss of digits essential to needlepoint and balance.  

Case in point:  Our school district cancelled school today because of a combination of snow, high winds and the wind chill factor- in the other words, we're in the middle of a winter storm.  Great!  We get to sleep in (well, the kiddos and I get to sleep in- Derek still has to get up and shovel and do other man stuff), stay in our jammies as long as we want, etc, etc.  The kids have all morning to basically do whatever they want, provided what they want involves books and toys and a decided lack of blood due to sibling battle.

But all they really want is to get outside and play in the snow.

After much pleading, I finally caved, with the caveat that only Atticus and Adelaide could go out- Caedmon was just too little to be out in this weather.  This resulted in cheering from the A's and pathetic weeping from Cade.  I felt so bad for the little guy that I relented (after 30 whole seconds of stalwart deafness to his pleas), spent the next 20 minutes in a hurricane of snow pants, coats, boots, scarves, mittens, and hats to the point where they were sick of layering and just wanted to get outside already, and then...

I made them sit for another minute so I could take photos.










Caedmon was so grateful to be included he didn't care that he could only see out of one eye or that he couldn't really move his arms.  And for all his pleading, he only lasted about four minutes outside.




What was nice about this storm was that almost all our previous snow had melted in the few 40 degree days we had recently, so at least we're not having one of those winters where snowfall stacks upon snowfall stacks upon snowfall (so far).  

I always think it's funny how A and A ask me to come outside to play.  I always say, "No."  You'd think they'd learn.  I do usually try and come up with half-baked excuse as to why.  Today's excuse was hot cocoa.  




Whatever keeps me inside, man.











4 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't miss those days of having to put the snow gear on Emma. And having to do THREE of them! You're a saint.

    I grew up in southern Michigan, where we got lots of snow, but the temperature rarely went below 25, and I now realize (living out here on the prairie) that we didn't actually know what wind was. We could play for hours in the snow, and never risk frostbite. It sucks that so much of winter out here is so incredibly cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of snow with reasonable temperatures sounds like a beautiful winter. Did you have lots of trees? Or live in some kind of valley? Or live near the lake? I'm just wondering what created that kind of climate.

      Delete
  2. The main rule about dressing small kids for the snow: make them pee (in the toilet) before they start the 20 minute process of putting all that stuff on.

    I just LOVE playing in the snow, but not if it's windy. Staying inside to make the hot cocoa is an excellent excuse on a windy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that same pee rule for helping brides into their wedding dresses.

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.