Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday + List = Love

I'm running out of titles for the days when I don't want to write an actual post and just want to make a list.  Can you tell?




  • Conversation with Atticus yesterday: "Mommy?  Is there an ocean in heaven?"  "Uhhh... I don't know.  The Bible doesn't say anything about oceans in heaven, so... I guess we'll have to wait 'til we get there to find out."   *Long pause*  "How do sharks get to heaven?"  *Another long pause while Mommy tries to form a coherent response, but is saved by Atticus answering his own question*  "I bet Jesus just carries them in his arms, because they couldn't swim there!"  He looks thrilled to have answered this pressing theological question himself, and I'm left with a mental image of one of those culturally inaccurate depictions of a Scandinavian-looking Jesus wrestling a vicious tooth-laden shark through the pearly gates.  It was fun.  

  • Pop.  Or soda or Coke or whatever the crazy people around you call it.  I just don't get it.  Every so often when I see Derek enjoying a can of it, for some reason I feel the urge to take a tiny sip, thinking that just maybe I'll like it this time.  Instead, the moment the liquid touches my tongue it seems to explode in my mouth and I do my best to choke it back into my gullet, feeling it burning all the way down while my eyes water and I sputter and cough.  It does the exact opposite of what I feel a beverage should do- that is, quench your thirst- so why do people drink it?  

  • We got a Christmas newsletter in the mail the other day, and I loved it.  There are so many things to enjoy at Christmastime, but February?  It's a depressing time of year.  So getting a letter and photos from loved ones was especially uplifting, and something I don't think I appreciated as much in December as I do now.  I vote we all delay sending out our Christmas cards until February next year.

  • I'm beginning to think this winter is never going to end.  We're never going to get to go outside again.  It will never be warm again.  The ground will never thaw.  The snow will never disappear.  And it's only February.  There's no question:  if I lived a lot further North than here, I'd either have to work out three times a day (something that never fails to put me in an instant good mood) or get one of those special lamps to combat Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I have a sneaking suspicion the lamp would win.  


  • Is it just me, or is everyone sick right now?  Out of 18 kids in Adelaide's 1st grade class, 7 were gone earlier this week, and you don't even want to hear what percentage of kids missed school due to illness in my school nurse mom's district.  I'm praying God remembers we had our turn in December, I'll paint a little lamb's blood around our front door, and the Angel of Influenza will just pass us by.  I'll let you know if this strategy works.  

10 comments:

  1. Pepsi--mmmmm. It makes February better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've met a few Pepsi addicts. You all seem to be an interesting breed.

      Delete
  2. You can thaw when you get here! Supposed to be in the upper forties when you're here; bring a swimsuit! Exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've never heard of anyone having quite such a startling reaction to soda (or pop as we called in in Michigan where I grew up).

    February is apparently the new January here. It's definitely kicking us in the pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Michigan is one of those states in the right!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you liked it! I am the only one that slow right? Oh this is becky on stacies computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! And we received a Christmas newsletter in February last year, too, from some friends. You're not alone!

      Delete
  5. The way you feel about soda is the way I feel about beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a beer drinker, either, but for some reason I love the smell of beer. Maybe it's the hops?

      Delete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.