Monday, February 25, 2013

Illness For Everyone!

My posting the past week or so has been shoddy and sparse.  I'm aware of this.

My excuse is illness.  Not my illness, thank goodness, but that of our three kiddos.

While I was away a couple weekends ago, Adelaide started complaining of headache, began running a fever, got a barking cough, runny nose, and lost her voice.

Do you see what happens when I leave?  Everything just falls apart.  Because you know no one ever gets sick around here when I'm home (I hope the sarcasm really came through on that last statement).

Her fever stuck around for nearly a week, and in the meantime, the boys came down with whatever this bug is.  Blogging becomes a little difficult when a two- and a four-year-old feverish boy insist on draping their burning little bodies across you anytime you're stationary.

Cade has been especially guilty of this; he's regressed in age by at least a year, wailing anytime I have the indecency to detach him from me, sucking on his fingers all the time, and rubbing his face all over me, seeking comfort.  He has also simultaneously been the best at coughing into his elbow and the one child who has coughed into my open mouth several times over the past few days.  And coughing 'til you puke?  He has it down.  The kid is talented.

I have no idea how Derek and I have avoided contracting this nastiness thus far, and have been hoping that somehow we would manage to escape relatively unscathed.

But then Derek texted me:  He's been really dizzy this morning; an early symptom our children exhibited.  Crap.

I made it through most of a strangely productive morning before the headache and nausea set in.  Double-crap.


Father and Mother cannot get sick at the same time.  They just can't.  Because guess what?  Small children do not care one iota about how you feel.  Example:  A conversation I had with Atticus roughly one hour ago.  "Mom, why are you leaned over like that?"

"I don't feel very well, Bud."

"Oh.  I'm hungry."


Pray for us.

10 comments:

  1. UGH! I am *so sorry*! I know how that is. As if you aren't exhausted enough from caring for sick kids, now you have to somehow care for WELL kids while you're sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never decide if sick kids or healthy kids are easier. On the one hand, sick kids tend to lie around a lot, but on the other hand, that's a lot of puke-cleaning and disinfecting to do.

      Delete
  2. I hope and pray you are through it sooner than soon. It is definitely lousy for both parents to be sick at the same time.

    Some kids rise to the challenge when the parent asks them to take extra responsibility when the parent is sick. Maybe your oldest would do this? ? ? But maybe she's not well enough yet.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adelaide tends to be very helpful, if not a little... enthusiastic given the opportunity to tell everyone what to do.

      Delete
  3. when I read Caedmon had coughed into your mouth I knew you were doomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed and laughed at your comment. I don't know why.

      Delete
  4. Oh I hate things that come with significant fevers. Once Emma (when she was about 1) spent a morning going in and out of consciousness on my lap --turned out she had pneumonia. Just yuck to all the worrying, which is something I'm an expert in.

    I hope they are starting to recover, and it is really unfair that both you and Derek are getting sick at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's scary. And that's still a scary age, when their little bodies still seem too little to really combat nasty bugs.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! I wish i could offer to take them but not sure im any help! Hopefully Adelaide will arise to the occasion. My kids are loving taking care of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear you're being taken care of!

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.