Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spooning

While I was down south visiting my sisters a couple weeks ago, I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with my grandparents.  We all sat around and chatted and played with the babies.

They also brought along some iris bulbs for my sister Steph to plant in her yard; she and Clinton recently planted grass seed (well, probably a little more Clinton and a little less Steph), and are looking for other ways to add color to their yard since a tornado destroyed their previous house on the property (that was one year ago today- can you believe it?).

Since it was 60 degrees out and beautiful the day I was there and the ground wasn't frozen solid like it is here, I was a very happy lady indeed when Steph asked me to help plant the bulbs around her front yard.  Flowers!  Dirt!  Things I haven't experienced in what feels like half my life!  (Have I mentioned how long this winter has felt?  I don't think it's ever going to end.  EVER.)

As we began gathering everything we needed to take outside (bulbs, Vada, etc), I asked my sister a very natural question:  "Do you have a trowel?"

"No."

"Do you have a shovel?"

"No... but I do have these two spoons!"

"What?"

"I have these two kitchen spoons that I use for digging."

For 0.5 second I thought she was kidding.  She wasn't.

I asked several questions like, "Are you serious?" and "Isn't this a farm?" and "Are you serious?"

She was serious.  We headed outside armed with bulbs, a baby, and one spoon apiece.

After maybe a minute of digging and right about the time I got two inches down and hit clay, Clinton appeared, a nimbus of light surrounding him like a halo, and I heard the voice of God say, "STOP TRYING TO DIG IN THE DIRT WITH SPOONS, IDIOT CHILDREN."

Well, not really.  But I did hear Clinton say, "You know, we have shovels and stuff in that barn right there."  Which basically meant the same thing.

He came back with a shovel and a hoe, we forfeited our spoons, and the four of us planted the bulbs.  Well, Vada supervised, but I'm sure we couldn't have done it without her.



"Hello, my name is Stephanie.  Watching two babies five days a week has caused me to lose my mind and do things like try to garden with spoons."


5 comments:

  1. This just made my day! Starting with your intentionally misleading post title (talk about leading someone down the garden path) - I was completely expecting a different kind of action. And then hearing that there is someplace where the temp has reached 60 degrees. And then the digging in the dirt with spoons. And then the Voice of God speaking to His Children. Hilarious!

    Oh, my. I just blipped right over the part where their house was destroyed in a tornado. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty funny/baffling at the time, and I'm looking forward to all the future sister-torture a story like this can hold.

      Delete
  2. I'm never going to hear the end of this, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went back to read your post about the tornado. Anybody who has lived through such an experience gets to use spoons for gardening anytime they want. Such destruction in that photo.

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.