Monday, March 25, 2013

Winter is the Worst

Hey guys.

I was gone for a week, and it took me awhile to emotionally recover from hurricane Jiffy, so I haven't been posting.  Obviously.

So what did we do over Spring Break?

Well, Derek worked.  And worked and worked and worked.  And because it's Holy Week and our church has a big Good Friday service and a big Easter Sunday drama, he's going to be working and working and working at church this week.

I think about Derek and all that work and I feel a little sorry for him.  Then I think of last week's Jiffy disaster and the vinegar disaster the week before that (pretty sure I forgot to tell y'all about that one) and I feel little sorry for me.  So I guess it all evens out.

The kids and I traveled south to enjoy some 80-degree weather down in Kansas.  We jumped on the trampoline, I got a little jealous over all their daffodils and hyacinths and tulip shoots, dyed Easter eggs, and jumped on the trampoline some more.


Wanna see some pictures?  Of course you do!




My mom, my sisters and their babies, Megan, the kiddos, and I spent a morning at Botanica, Wichita's beautiful botanical center.  Somehow I've never been there.  At first Charlotte was a little confused as to just why we wanted to spend so much time outside on a 30-degree morning.

When we first got there, I spied a gardener digging around in a bed of tulips, refrained from tearing the gloves off her and shoving her out of my way (DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT'S BEEN SINCE I GOT TO SPEND TIME AMONG MY FLOWERS?), and struck up a conversation instead.

"You have so many tulips shoots here!  What colors will these be right here?"  See how nice I can be, even when consumed with jealousy?

*baffled laugh* "Oh my goodness, I have no idea."  She was really nice, too.  

"I guess fall was a long time ago.  I'm having trouble remembering exactly where I planted all the bulbs in my own yard!"  This was me giving her a pass.  

"No, it's not that.  It's just that we planted 53,000 tulips bulbs, and I really have no idea which colors are where!  You should come back in three weeks, it's going to be spectacular!"

Um, 53,000 tulips bulbs?  Holy mackerel.  If you live in the Wichita area, you have got to get to Botanica in April.  I hear it's going to be spectacular.  

Here's all five grandkids:



It's so weird to see my kiddos as the big kids in a photo.  Nice, but weird.  

Here's the base of the giant tree house that was eating our kids in the children's area.  Mom had said Atticus was afraid of it last summer when they visited.  I didn't understand until I saw it in person.  






They had all kinds of chime-noise making-thingies, too, which Atticus in particular seemed to enjoy.



Normal Atticus.


Crazy Atticus.  

Actually, "crazy" is more the norm for our older boy, so let's all just mentally switch those two labels around.



We also encountered what are apparently the two most fascinating metal lady bugs on earth.





I personally didn't really get it, but man, did the girls love them.


We also found some dress-up clothes hiding in the Very Hungry Caterpillar.  Guess who just couldn't wait to try them on?

That's right:  the 26 and 21 year olds.


And Atticus.


I thought they were the nicest... let's see, Captain America, SWAT team member, and... female Thor? that I've ever seen.  


I also saw several Lenten Rose plants, which I've seen in many catalogs over the past few years, but Botanica's beautiful varieties finally made me decide that our shade beds need some.  They NEED them.  I'll probably try to put them in this spring.  You know, if this snow ever melts and spring ever arrives.  Which I'm half-convinced it won't.  


Anyone else have a fun Spring Break?  Anyone else sick to death of winter?  Anyone else know anything in particular about Lenten Roses, or have anything other suggestions for my numerous shaded flower beds?






10 comments:

  1. I think it's kind of rude to rub it in that you got to enjoy good weather.

    I'm so tired of winter! Sorry, I know nothing about roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was actually only 80 the day we got there. Most of the rest of the time it was *only* in the 50's and 60's. (And yes, that was me rubbing it in.)

      Delete
  2. well since I'm the picture person, not the flower person (sorry...but whatever it is will be pretty I'm sure) I love that Atticus has a silly face in EVERY picture...and even more that you didn't attempt to make him smile a "normal" smile in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Atticus is kind of a 'choose your battles' kind of kid, and I'm definitely not willing to go to war over photos. I figure it's proof for when he's an adult.

      Delete
  3. All I can offer is an extra flower bed to work your magic in! Feel free to sneak on over any time. I will even watch your kiddos while you play in the dirt. :0).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually really tempting! I can just see me, puttering away in your yard, when your husband gets home and says, "Uh, who are you?"

      Delete
  4. Me! Me! Me! i'm sick of winter!

    Ah, that photo of all 5 kids - save that. I predict they will love seeing that photo in the years to come.

    And that tree house is the most awesomely weird thing I have seen in a long time.

    Vinegar? Perhaps it is too painful to revisit the incident. I'm just curious about other people's lives and what they find to do with vinegar. It's an old standby in the vinegar-baking soda "volcanic" fluid which has been used many times in our household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny; I use the vinegar and baking soda reaction to get my kids to scrub the bathtub. It still works on Atticus, but Adelaide is no longer amazed. Good thing I have one more slave laborer to wow in the future.

      Delete
  5. I am actually hoping to be in Wichita in April -- I may take that suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.