Monday, May 20, 2013

Over the Past Four Days, I Have:



  • Cleaned up enough puke to pickle a rhino.  We have a nasty bug that's making its way through four members of our family, with me being the lone healthy survivor.  Let's all take just a moment and pray to the sweet baby Jesus that I don't get sick.  I've scrubbed carpet, child car seats, seat belts, Caedmon, a rocking chair, clothing, Cade's bed, our bed, me, and the siding on the house.  Caedmon may be the only one doing the vomiting, but he's an equal opportunity regurgitator.  

  • Been used as a makeshift pillow anytime I dare to sit down.  Evidently our offspring need near-constant physical contact when ill.



Convalescing on the front porch with Daddy.




  • Stumbled across our children lying all over the house and yard.  Because I've found all kinds of extra chores to do just so that I don't have to sit down and become a potential puke receptacle.







  • Escaped from the house and its sick inhabitants for a few hours to enjoy a Mommy-Daughter date with Adelaide.  A little coffee shop opened here in our little town about a month ago, and I've been doing my civic duty to ensure it stays open.  When Adelaide requested we go there, I told her she was my favorite kid and off we went.



She had a chocolate muffin.  I had iced coffee.  We played checkers.  I didn't clean up puke.  It was beautiful.



  • Delayed going back into the House of Illness as long as possible by looking at every possible flower in our front yard.  Adelaide joined me.

Lilacs!

Flowering Dogwood!


  • Totally stole Cassi Renee's idea and had Adelaide take pictures while up in the tree.





  • Spent some quality time with the fam in our basement due to the tornadoes that went through the area last night.  One evidently touched down right on the edge of town, and another was near a neighboring town.  It was a noisy night of wind, thunder, and tornado sirens.  Still, we're all okay, and I have yet to hear of any major casualties (aside from cows).





13 comments:

  1. At 12, Emma still needs constant physical contact when she's sick. On the one hand, it's wonderful. And on the other, it's not. :-)

    It's hard to see those little bodies going through a stomach bug --it just seems like there isn't enough of them there to be throwing up and not eating. I hope it passes soon, and misses you entirely.

    We had a tornado siren go off accidentally last night during a really nasty storm. There've been some really bad ones these past few days closer to you guys --I hope you stay missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when you're holding them and can feel their tiny stomachs heaving. Just pathetic.

      Delete
  2. Escaped?? I think the word is abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine a house full of sick kiddos. Poor babies.
    Mine were always kind enough to puke one-at-a-time.
    And escape cannot be overrated.

    Quality time in the basement... that's a new way of describing it. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide which is better- one at a time is kind of prolonging the agony, but on the other hand, it's three sick kids at one time. Either way, nobody wins.

      Delete
  4. "enough puke to pickle a rhino" might be my new favorite phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many comments that I might just overload the comment machine. First off, "enough puke to pickle a rhino" - is that an expression where you live? It's better than Shakespeare. I want to steal that expression (but without having to endure the puke).

    Second, I sympathize SOOOOO much with you. Those kids lying around like limp porpoises out of water - poor things, but, really, poor you. I hope to God you can escape this plague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Limp porpoises out of water." That was a good one.

      Delete
  6. What I meant to say first is that I'm glad the tornadoes missed you. Scary, scary, scary.

    I remember one night I stayed up with my puking daughter. She used up every single towel in the house, puking into each one sequentially. learning to puke into the appropriate receptacle is a milestone to be celebrated.

    I love the pictures of the trees! I don't know what it is about branches, but I love branches. It would be cool to take the same photo in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember puking into a basket of freshly folded laundry when I was little. My kids have yet to do that. I also used several towels in a row when Adelaide was a toddler. Something about plastic sacks and trash cans scares them at that age.

      Delete
  7. That is a kind and brave Daddy.

    Wash hands frequently, everybody!

    Okay, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my mom reads this comment. She's a major hand-washing advocate/fiend, and will love you forever.

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.