Wednesday, June 26, 2013

What June Has Looked Like

Somehow it's the end of June.  I have no idea how this happened.



  • We went to pick blackberries that grow on a trail near our house, only to discover that due to a cool, wet spring, they're a couple weeks behind schedule, along with every other plant around here.  The kiddos were disappointed until we found a teeny frog.  Because that's all it takes when you're two.  And four.  And apparently seven.

Or maybe it's a toad?  I've never claimed to be an expert on amphibians.  Or on anything else, for that matter.


  • The day after Derek's folks brought the kids back home (oh yeah- they're back!  Obviously!  Hallelujah!), the four men-folk went golfing while the ladies went to the Des Moines Farmer's Market and did a little garage sale-ing. 





Isn't it interesting/sad/true to form that while I saw all kinds of fresh, local, delicious produce at the market, the only thing I ate was a truly scrumptious apple cider doughnut and homemade strawberry rhubarb ice cream?

I regret nothing.



  • I completely lost all semblance of sanity and bought our children three water guns yesterday.  Just to be clear, outside of food, plus clothing (and the occasional book) purchased at garage sales, I never buy our children anything.  We don't have the space, "toys" are most certainly not a line item in our budget, and if you never buy anything to begin with, you fend off those humiliating displays you see some children making when they don't get what they want at Wal-Mart.  
Yesterday, however, I loitered around the minuscule toy section at Aldi just long enough for our children to lovingly stroke the water guns and imagine a world where moms occasionally buy such treasures for their beloved offspring.  

So I told them each to pick a color, because all three were about to get their very own gun!  (Don't even bother preaching to me about the folly of letting children play with gun- and weapon-related toys.  Not only do I not care, but even if I did believe in banning such items in our household, I would be forced to confront the fact that our boys have been picking up sticks and pretending they're guns pretty much since they could say, "Pew! Pew!"  And that's with a hunting-, gun-, and practically television-free childhood.)  Yes, the whole water-gun decision will probably end in me confiscating the toys and making our kids cry, but that's okay.  I'll just blame Anna, who gave me the idea in the first place when she suggested arming our children in order to keep rabbits away from my plants.  (Arming them with water guns, people.  Although with Anna, you never really know.)




  • Caedmon has officially moved up to a toddler bed.  The crib has been dismantled.  You know, the one that held not just all three of our sweet little babies but also my two sisters and me when we were wee bairns?  But don't worry.  I'm not upset.
We'll be hauling it away soon, along with a few other large items we've been meaning to trash.  

Again- don't worry!  I'm sure I won't cry at all knowing thirty years of memories are about to be INCINERATED.

I'd love to give it away, but it's literally illegal to do so.  Something about it being a drop-sided death trap.  Whatever.

10 comments:

  1. We had a friend of Rob's from his high school days visit a few years ago, and she brought him a gift: a medium-sized water gun. Then she brought out the gift she'd brought for Emma: an enormous super-soaker that held about a half gallon of water :-)

    I'm not a fan of water guns only because too often they spray me with cold water while I'm in the pool, and I'm usually too cold as it is (no pool heater). But they seem like a great way for the kids to cool down in the yard.

    Those are great photos. And tiny frogs are a big hit here, even with 12 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I remember super-soakers. I didn't know those were still around. No way would I knowingly give our children those.

      Delete
  2. Water guns are the best ever! But when they want a super-soaker, they should spend their own money.

    - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take they're expensive? Or you just don't want them near you?

      Delete
  3. So, I don't em bigger too many of your pictures, even when you tell me to, but I did the one of Adelaide...I love that picture! AND when did she get to be so big?! I think she has grown a ton in the last month. And I miss you! Lets get together soon...Stephanie Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear all children grow so much over the summer. And I agree, we need to get together!

      Delete
  4. If this idea works, I will totally take credit for it. If it fails miserably, I will laugh because you listened to a pregnant woman with no children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pregnant with no children you may be, but I swear you have double the credibility of half the people who write parenting manuals. It's scary.

      Delete
  5. the picture of you and Adelaide at the farmers market...priceless....and she looks like Atticus! And it's cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.