Monday, August 26, 2013

A List


  • Derek and I went to a wedding Saturday afternoon.  The ceremony was in a lovely Lutheran church that filled me with all kinds of childhood nostalgia but that also wasn't air conditioned.  Now, it's been a remarkably mild summer up here, but this past week we finally turned on our own air conditioning because temps have been in the 90's and it's crazy humid.  The wedding programs were fashioned into fans (something we did at our wedding, because we got married in Oklahoma in July, which is a great thing to do if you want your fancy wedding finery to be crispy with salt and dried sweat forever and ever amen), which I appreciated, but more than anything I felt so bad for the bride and groom.  It was (praise Jesus) a short service, but watching him in that dark tuxedo and her in that heavy, multi-layered (and quite beautiful) dress with full hair and make-up done, of course, I kept waiting for one of them to pass out, especially during the one song that was performed toward the end of the service.  The pastor obviously had thoughts aligning with my own, as he grabbed two program-fans and fanned the soon-to-be-newlyweds while we all listened to two girls sing a duet about love or faithfulness or something.  At a wedding!  Imagine that.

  • I spent Saturday evening watching Doctor Who and binge eating Oreos.  I told this to an extroverted friend the next day.  She looked at me in sympathy while I tried to explain that, "No, that really is a pretty ideal Saturday night for me."  Five minutes of insisting later and she still didn't believe I wouldn't rather have been at the big social gathering she attended.  *shudder*

  • The boys make up new names for themselves on a daily basis, but Caedmon's has been pretty consistent over the past few weeks.  There have been a number of times that we've been out somewhere, he's engaged a stranger in conversation (that kid is so outgoing I would question whether or not we're related if I hadn't, you know, kind of been there for his birth), and at some point or another they've asked, "So what's your name?"  And every time his answer has been, "Batman."  He then looks at them with confusion mingled with disapproval when they laugh.  I think maybe it's the laughter that prompts his monologue about how "I can kill this many *holds up ten fingers* bad guys with my Batman powers" and other specific points that I'm pretty sure to his mind proves that he is, in fact, Batman.

  • I recently discovered a meme that has probably been around for a long time but is completely new to me.  It's called the Socially Awkward Penguin, and I identify with it so strongly it's disturbing.  What's further disturbing is that I showed it to Derek and he went so far as to say that I am the Socially Awkward Penguin.  No idea what I'm talking about?  Here are a few examples:


I hate compliments      
 Socially Awkward Penguin Is it strange that I find myself doing this sometimes...okay most of the time?     Socially Awkward Penguin
Half the time is because I actually did stalk them...       Socially Awkward Penguin



Me, me, me, me, me, me.  Super.


7 comments:

  1. 1. Who is this 'Dr Who' that so many speak of? We found 'Dr Who' on netflix recently - I think it was from the 1960s. It was terrible. It was not entertaining in any way whatsoever. Is there a different Dr Who and how do I find him?

    2. I am glad Batman is out there looking after the world. Sometime in the next 20 years you will probably be making up the names for your kids. Our teenager became "Whatever Woman".

    3. Thank you for introducing me to the socially awkward penguin. I am he. Especially that part about making phone calls.

    4. A wedding! What fun! I haven't been to a wedding in ages. At least now I know what to wear- I should dress like a socially awkward penguin.

    5. You should read "Quiet" by Susan Cain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I love that your comment is in list format.

      2. Glad you found the new Dr. Who. I know there are die-hards who love them all, but I am not one of them, except for comedy's sake.

      3. Whatever Woman. I love it.

      4. Phone calls. I will go to the ends of the earth to avoid making a phone call most of the time.

      5. I love book recommendations- thanks!

      Delete
  2. 6. I found the right Dr Who. Much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also the socially awkward penguin! It must be something about bloggers . . . .

    I haven't watched Dr. Who yet --what season should I start with?

    Also, a night of sitting on the couch watching Inspector Lewis and binge eating popcorn and wine would be my idea of an ideal evening :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that most bloggers are introverts. Introverts= socially awkward?

      Hmmm. I'm really no Doctor Who expert, but I would probably start with the seasons featuring David Tennant as the Doctor. Here's a linky that tells you when he appeared on the series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Doctor

      Delete
  4. I am that penguin. I have a major phone phobia which is why I love texting. But sadly, my oldest takes the cake when it comes to being socially awkward...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that penguin!
    I saw a terrific play/musical last night: "Church Basement Ladies" -- put yourself back to the 1960s and a Lutheran church basement. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.