Monday, November 18, 2013

Lists, Glorious Lists


  • Atticus and I were baking together recently (boy loves to bake and cook and do anything remotely related to food prep, so I've been putting him to work and calling it education), and we were examining one of the measuring spoons.  I explained that "1 tsp" means "1 teaspoon," but he also wanted to know what all the other words on the spoon said.  "Well, 'Tailormade' must be the name of the company that makes this spoon, and 'China' is the country where it's made," I said.  He mulled that over for a few seconds, then rather firmly told me, "China is in hell."  I did my best to explain basic world geography and where China exists on the globe in relation to us, but I'm not sure he believed me.  Maybe because I was laughing the entire time.  

  • I'm thinking of converting our laundry room into a laundry/operating room- you know, with scalpels and super bright lights and flattering face masks?  This isn't just a random whim on my part (this time); Adelaide has gotten... I don't know, six?  Seven?  Call it seven splinters over the past several months, and I don't mean tiny little slivers of wood in her fingers, I mean small twigs that the school nurse has to call and tell me about because she tried to extricate it at school but was afraid to do too much, especially given the fact that that one was in her belly (I know, okay?  I don't know what that child is doing at school), where the skin is pretty sensitive.  I spent twenty minutes digging one out of her heel Saturday evening that was around a quarter inch long and way thicker than the needle I was having to use to peel all the skin away just to get to it.  After sterilizing a needle and tweezers and rigging a Black and Decker heavy duty flashlight to shine just right and laying her down rather awkwardly on a bench so I could get at her foot, I decided I just need an OR right on site.  Because Adelaide didn't find the whole thing traumatic enough.  (But I got that sucker out!)

  • I'm going to a cookie exchange in a few weeks.  I've used my two favorite cookie recipes at the last couple exchanges and am hunting for a new one to take- right now I have it narrowed down to Kitchen Sink Cookies (which I've made for a couple different crowds, all with excellent reviews) or Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles (which I've never made but sound divine).  Or should I do something completely different?  Do any of you have a cookie recipe that's the bomb diggity?  Care to share?

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I made these cookies for a cookie exchange once with almond flavoring and coconut that you put a Hershey's Kiss in the top right after they're baked. They are yummilicious! I should make them again. LMK if you want the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my son's favorite cookie.

    Nutmeg Cookie Logs

    For the cookie part
    1 cup butter, softened
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons rum flavor
    1 cup sugar
    1 egg
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon nutmeg


    Preheat oven to 350 F.

    Mix together butter, vanilla, rum and sugar. Blend in the egg. Add sifted flour and nutmeg. Mix. Shape into logs (take a lump of dough, roll into a "snake" about 1 inch thick and cut into 1 1/2 inch-length logs).

    Bake at 350 F for about 8 to12 minutes (I like to bake them until they are just golden on the bottom). Makes about 5 dozen.

    When cookies have cooled, spread a dab of icing on each one, and then immediately sprinkle with nutmeg.

    Icing (the following is half of the original recipe, but seems to make enough icing):

    1 1/2 Tbsp butter
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp rum flavor
    1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
    1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp milk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forgot --before we had Emma, Rob and I were visiting his parents. His sister and her 2 year old son were also there. One morning we woke up to the kid screaming as if someone was skinning him alive. We were scared to leave out bedroom. Found out later she was getting a splinter out of his foot :-)

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.