Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Angle Trees


Apparently today is some sort of giving day.  Like, donate to your favorite charity, give money to those in need, think of someone besides yourself for once this Christmas season.  And I am all for that.  All. For. It.

But.


If I see one more person use the internets to type "Can't wait to go visit the Angle Tree!" or "Our family is getting one Angle for each member of our family this year!" or "Headed to pick out an Angle off the Angle Tree!" I am going to lose it.

I know what they mean.  Obviously, they mean "Angel Tree."  (At least, I think that's what they mean.  I created the below Angle Tree concept because I guess you never know.)  You know, the tree where you pick out an "angel" that describes a local needy family and purchase whatever it is they need this holiday season?

Obviously, the Angel Tree program is a wonderful one.  The Angle Tree program, on the other hand?  That's forcing math on people, at Christmas of all times.  It's not going to make you any friends, except weird people who like math.


Art courtesy of moi.  Truly, I have a gift.  It's not artistic ability, but that's beside the point.



Would you look at that!  Mr. H was right:  I just used Geometry in my adult life.  The man was a prophet, not a liar like I'd so long assumed.  Or maybe he was just a desperate teacher trying to motivate his sullen students to care about Geometry.  

I'm leaning toward prophet.

4 comments:

  1. But angles are the basis for all higher math. I think the world needs these angle trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least angles exist . . . The angel trend has kind of old --too terribly sentimental for me. Giving is good, but I have only fairies, no angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, my comment didn't post yesterday. I said something along the lines of how glad I was to read your post because after reading your title I was afraid you were going to have to trade in you "queen-of-all-things-English" title. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Angle trees... I love the graphics you provided.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.