Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A New Year's List


  • I'm pretty sure last year I wrote a post grousing about New Year's and how it's just an arbitrary day and it's completely meaningless and blah grumble blah.  I still feel that way.  

  • Last night was the first night in several years I was still awake at midnight, and the only celebrating Derek and I did was watching old Friends episodes, which is a pretty perfect party, if you ask me.  We did switch over to the re-broadcast of Dick Clark's Rockin' Whatever (because we're in the Central time zone, they re-air the last hour leading up to the ball drop on CBS so we middle-of-the-country peasants can pretend to have fun, too; NBC doesn't bother) to see the freaky celebrities doing completely incomprehensible things and uttering inanities that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.  It makes me believe no one should ever be up that late, although, to be fair, I'm pretty sure those people are just as flummoxing by the light of day.

  • I don't make New Year's resolutions.  Well, that's not quite true; I will sometimes enter into a small mental pact with myself to try and maybe perhaps do something over the next year that I'm currently sucking at, if it's not going to be too hard and I feel like it.  It's like a resolution for under achievers.  Last year, while everyone was saying things like "I'm going to do more to lift up my fellow man" and "I'm dedicating 20 hours a month to helping the poor" I was telling myself that in 2013, I'm going to try and shower on a more regular basis.  And I did!  Please keep in mind that at the end of 2012, I had a 2, 4, and 6-year-old and showering- or doing anything for myself- was generally dead last on the day list of Things To Do.  (And if you think that our kids' current ages of 3, 5, and 7 years is practically the same, then I suspect you spend very little actual time around small children.)  So far today I've read- via social media- the resolutions "Ran 9 miles today, going to crush that half-Marathon this year!" and "2014 is going to be the year of letting go for me.  I already feel more peaceful."  Since I'm now getting regular showers, more or less (do you have any idea what a luxury that is?  Regular bathing?), I've moved on to this year's Mental Pact With Myself But Don't Call It A Resolution Because That Smacks Of Accountability And No Way Am I Setting Myself Up For Failure Like That:  Eating more fruits and vegetables.  I started several days ago, and have been doing quite well.  Why yes, I am the most exciting person you know.

Happy Just Another Day That Someone Randomly Assigned Meaning To, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I think resolutions are for young people who have choices left. When you have kids, there really isn't time to do much navel-gazing :-) Here's to more fruits and veggies!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.