Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'm Gonna Whimsy You To Death

My home will never grace the pages of a decorator magazine for many reasons, chief amongst them a lack of budget, awareness of trends, the fact that we have small children and therefore can't have not just nice things, but apparently things in general.  (Side note:  Why are children so destructive?  Why do I have to keep saying, "DO NOT hang on the cabinet doors.  DO NOT climb up the fridge.  DO NOT dig that metal spoon into the table."  Why?)

More than anything keeping us from magazine covers, though, is a little word called 'whimsy.'  Now, even magazine editors seems to appreciate some whimsy, but "some" seems to be the operative word there.  They like to sprinkle a little here and there, whereas I would like to unscrew the lid and dump the entire whimsical contents all over our house.

Alas, Derek cannot see the merits of living in the housing equivalent of Wonderland, so instead I get a Pinterest board labeled "Home Decorating," and every once in a while I look through it and imagine what would happen if I were ever to magically install every single one of those things in our home while Derek was at work one day.  Oh, the look my imagination puts on his face when he walks through the door.  Priceless.


First off, you'd have this mat welcoming you into our home:
via wanelo.com




As soon as you walk in the door, you see our stairs, which would look like this (assuming I could ever bring myself to paint them, which I probably could not):

via themetapicture.com






This would be on the wall (although where, I have no idea, as I'm pretty sure our house doesn't have a stretch of wall big enough for this anywhere- DETAILS):

via dwell.com





At least one room would have a wall featuring this wallpaper (it's COLORING WALLPAPER, YOU GUYS- wallpaper you can color.  Imagine how much we'll save on therapy.  I mean, coloring is soothing, right?):

via theberry.com





We would have this refrigerator (because TARDIS FRIDGE):

via





We would have a laundry chute- but not just any laundry chute, a porthole laundry chute:

via alleewillis.com




Our kitchen ceiling would look like this:

via notjustahousewife.net




These pillows would grace our couch (and before you look, just know that I am perfectly aware that this is where I will lose most of you- I can't help it.  Those cats make me laugh every time I look at them, and isn't that one of things you want from your home?):
via hautelook.hardpin.com
via hautelook.hardpin.com

via kohls.com




And these pillows would go on our rockers on the front porch:

via 





Oh, and this birdcage would have to be a light fixture somewhere in our house.  Actually, it would have to be the front room, as that's the only room that has ceilings tall enough to accomodate a birdcage light fixture:

via designsponge.com




Isn't it all so beautiful?  I lost you at the Kitty Hepburn pillow, didn't I?  What elements of whimsy would you add to your home?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Kristy --if Derek walks out on you, I will move in!! I would love all those things in my house. Rob can just stay down in his music room (Derek can join him. Does he like music? Lots and lost of music?).

    Unfortunately, even with a young teen, we're still saying things like "don't hang on the cupboard doors!". Emma just ruined the finish on the last remaining decent-looking side of our dining room table --each side has been ruined through the application of nail polish or remover --four times she's been yelled at about this, but still she seems to think it's the best place to do her nails? I figure I might have a house with nice things after she's in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make you a deal, if we can have putting green for carpet, we can have some things listed here, but not the book stair case... or the birdcage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could totally make the scrabble letter pillows for the porch! And I LOVE your hardwood house, so no painting the stairs......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want the stairs. Other than that. . .I'm afraid I'm not so whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. at first, i totally thought there were FOUR pillows for your front porch, and i was like, '*gasp* kristy!!' but then i saw there were only three, and it made more sense, but it also made me feel a little disappointed. because what says 'i tell it like it is' more than scrabble tile pillows on your front porch that yell, 's*it!' maybe i'll just have to do that on my own front porch.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.