Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Plant and Ballet List

Let's break up all this Waste Not business with a list, shall we?



  • I transferred my seedlings to their own little peat pots last night.


Upgrading seedlings from their nascent egg carton home to these temporary little pots is kind of like watching your children participate in an elementary school's graduation ceremony:  fun but meaningful only to the most sentimental of parents.  And with this I'm also whispering "Don't die don't die don't die don't die" while disentangling their fragile little root systems.  Hopefully I won't find myself doing this when our children actually leave grade school.

Right now they're enjoying (the seedlings, not our children- why on earth would I talk about our children when there are plants to talk about HAHAHAHA) their first beautiful spring morning out of doors:


No, the makeshift cold frame probably isn't necessary- I mean, it is 50 degrees out there, and I'm only leaving them out there for a few hours to start hardening them off- but I'm a bit of an overprotective gardener, especially since, as I was placing the little pots on the back deck and covering them up, I pictured each little plant as an elderly person I wheeling toward a window so they could enjoy some sunshine.  

I'm not sure why I insist on this constant anthropomorphization of my plants.  It's just a thing I do.  


  • Atticus (see, we do have children!) is still a weird sleeper:



His knees are hooked over the green side of the toy box there (I just accidentally typed "boy box" which made me snuffle and chortle), effectively folding him in half.  I continue to maintain that Atticus would make a great ballet dancer: He's got a lean build, is crazy flexible, loves music, and really loves the female half of the human race.  I think I'll start calling him "Misha."  We'll see what happens.





  • My first tulips bloomed!  Unfortunately, their prime blooming time fell during the five days and nights of near-constant rain we had over the past week, so I really only got to enjoy them when pulling into and out of the driveway.  It did save me from taking a million pictures of them, however, so at least you're spared that.



Look at that!  I can cross off the first thing on my list for today ("Bang out List post"), so it's time to get ready for the day; we're leaving for Pella's tulip festival (my first time!) in about an hour.  Huzzah!







2 comments:

  1. We've had that same rainy, and I was feeling the same way about the flowers that have been blooming! Today it is sunny, so I'll have to go outside and actually look at them before they're finished.

    I can't believe that kid can sleep like that --don't his various limbs fall asleep and get all tingly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sleeping positions will come in handy in a cramped college dorm room.

    Hooray for your tulips! I have one tulip planted outdoors. It finally has a bud on it.

    Elderly people move about as fast as plants do.

    I just have to say that I was thinking for a teensy weensy second that this post was going to be about dancing plants.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.