Monday, May 12, 2014

Tuuuuulips

I have two posts to write:  One a quick photo post of the tulips currently blooming in my yard, and one a probably not-so-quick photo post of our day at Tulip Time.  I will admit I've spent an absurd amount of time debating the order in which to post these; if I post the photos of Tulip Time first, then you're bound to be disappointed by the photos of my tulips the next day, because there aren't thousands of flowers and because there are no dutch pastries in sight anywhere, a fact that saddens me daily.  But if I do it the other way around, then if you're scrolling through past posts, you'll first see the post containing my own tulips, then the Tulip Time post.

Aren't you so glad I don't keep these thoughts and inner dilemmas to myself?  Isn't that the whole point of this blog anyway, me putting needless information out there about our family?  I still don't think Derek really gets this whole blog business in general- well, not so much our family blog, but more all the other little family blogs I read.  I love to hear all the details of other people's lives, in story or newsy format, which you just can't get on other forms of social media.  Oh, you have a new favorite carpet cleaner?  Do tell.  Your poor old cat is blind and deaf?  Show me pictures, tell me the story.  Your family has delightful Jewish celebrations that are completely and totally foreign to me?  Yes, please.  You're faithfully trying to grow, not kill, tomatoes for the umpteenth year in a row?  Please diligently chronicle your journey this summer.  I love all of this.  Derek doesn't get it.  He probably skimmed this paragraph.  (Come on back, Derek, I'm going to start talking about us again.)

To wrestle this post back on track, let's go ahead and look at the tulips in our own yard first, just so this post doesn't approach Rothfuss-type lengths.



Red and Pink Impression tulips.  This is the best bunch I have this year, as the tulips in closer proximity to both our front porch and back deck kind of got flattened by yours truly while power washing.  Whoops.  (Notice that since I did it it's "whoops," whereas if one of my family members had accidentally done the same, I'd be calling down brimstone over their guilty heads.)  








I take around five photos of these a day.  I just can't get enough of them.  They're one of the first things I see when I walk out our back door.  Perfect.








This is the Orange Impressions' second spring, and while their color was prettier than ever, their numbers were majorly diminished.  Clearly I'm going to have to plant more bulbs this fall to make up for their under-achievement.  Darn.







This is a mixture of bulbs I got from Earl May, and I've been so pleased with the variations in color and height.  The whites appear to bloom later, as there are more of them out there now.







This is the bunch I forgot about and were nearly decimated by rabbits.  I now remember thinking that perhaps yellow tulips weren't the best idea; between the yellow iris and the daffodils, isn't there enough of this color in our yard?  But I must admit, I have loved this group, as they add a beautiful splash of color in this back, often neglected corner of our yard, and makes for a lovely tableau out the window of our downstairs bathroom, should you ever decide to visit that portion of our house in the spring.


An odd red-swirled tulip amongst the other plain yellows.  


In other exciting news, the average last frost date is nigh!  We haven't had a frost in several days, but I'm holding off, just in case.  Probably.  Most likely.  I think.  Although I'm going to town tomorrow, and I have a feeling those tomato and pepper plants are going to be calling my name.  They do that, you know.  They really do.  I'M SERIOUS.

2 comments:

  1. They are gorgeous! I clicked to embiggen, and they were even gorgeouser. I am really looking forward to your post on Tulip Time, because I don't know what Tulip Time is, so I feel like I have been invited to a surprise party for a famous person. Oooh! Oooh! What should I wear?! (You may think I am being sarcastic, but I am not. I am genuinely excited.)

    And I completely agree with you on reading blogs. I don't know why but it is wonderful to read about the interesting things that people do with their day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I didn't plant tulips for a long time, because I they didn't last long (but new types last much longer, thank goodness), and now that I have some I think "that was stupid!" They are so worth it, even if you need to plant more in a few years :-) Also --I was just going to post a picture of some tulips that are the exact same color combination as your second picture, although a different shape, so probably not the same type. I never manage to keep track of the names of these things.

    I totally agree too, about reading blogs --it's one of the highlights of my day. I'm pretty sure Rob would be perplexed, although sometimes I do read funny bits of blogs (I'm looking at you, Kristy and CHM) out loud to him :-)

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.