- It's been one of those weeks, hasn't it? Everywhere you turn, terrible, terrible things are happening, and then, when you're still reeling from the news, people start saying the most moronic, the most utterly hateful things and then have the gall to call it capital-T Truth, because apparently you get to do that when you're a Christian blogger and there is no end to your finger-pointing and your ugly, disturbing pride. I see this man's blog shared and liked by well-meaning Christian acquaintances all over social media, and even though I know it's going to make me so angry stars bust across my vision, I do it. I click through and I read. Then I go on and on and on about it to Derek who eventually asks, "Why were you reading this guy's blog again?" and I have to say "I DON'T KNOW."
I ended up spending waaaay too much mental energy on the whole thing, but thankfully I had the two Ann's to pull me out of the fury twister I was riding; both wrote beautiful pieces on mental illness and Christ and suicide and compassion. (Actually it's Anne and Ann- I think I've made it clear how important spelling is to me.) I encourage you to click on their correctly spelled names and read what they had to say.
- I have seen one, I repeat, ONE, Japanese beetle this year. According to the Iowa Gardener, this is because of our last brutally cold winter; it killed most of the larvae happily sleeping in our soil (now millions of tiny corpses, MUAHAHAHA), and the large amounts of rain we got in the spring drowned out the rest. Hal-lay-loo-yer and pass the basil that hasn't been eaten alive by beetles this year.
- This was our last full week of summer vacation. School begins next Wednesday. Adelaide is mostly ready. Atticus is pensive. I am saying what I say every summer: "Hmm. Homeschooling is suddenly very, very attractive." Caedmon still believes he will soon be attending preschool, because he's three and when he says, "I am Batman," in his mind he is Batman, so why shouldn't "Adelaide's going to third grade, Atticus is going to Kindergarten, and I'm going to preschool!" likewise work? Never mind that I've spent the last four months telling him he has a whole 'nother year before preschool- I'm just the Mother, what do I know?
- This week has been a good running week. Not too hot, not too humid, and my various injuries have finally shut themselves up enough for me to run, run, run.
I do try to keep in mind that even when All The Parts are hurting All at The Same Time, I still don't feel as bad as I did in my third trimester of my pregnancy with Caedmon, when my body said, "You want another pregnancy? Okay, lady, I'm going to pregnancy symptom you TO DEATH." This is why I laughed so hard when I first saw this on Pinterest a couple weeks ago:
I feel like that cat's face is the mental face I'm making half my waking hours. Somehow Derek didn't find this photo as funny as I did (I roar every time I see it)- but then, he's never been pregnant.
- I couldn't think of a fifth thing in the three minutes I have to finish this post, so I called upon Adelaide in my hour of need, and here's what she's happy about right this second:
"Back To School Night is only three days from today, and school is only five days from today." It's almost like she wants to leave me.