Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Do You See What I See?

Today we're going to do that thing they do in movies where they show a shot of one invariably sad/brooding/pensive character staring at some celestial body or other, cut to a shot of the moon/stars/whatever, then cut to a shot of another character staring at the same sky, suggesting they're connected in some way, even when apart.  It'll be like you're right here with me in central Iowa just by forcibly looking at the same things I'm looking at.  Or something.


The view out our front door:


Leaves that I should probably rake up or mow over, but why the heck should I?  They're just too pretty.




The view when I wake Cade up from naptime:


I found these next to our sleeping four-year-old, and when I asked him what exactly happened to his sister's purloined Lip Smackers, he yawned and nonchalantly told me, "Oh, I ate them."  Right.



The view of our kitchen today:


Both the boys are now sick with whatever gunk Adelaide had, and they'll play with their usual vigor and energy until they collapse.  Then they'll play again, hunting for bad guys or fighting dust motes, then collapse.  Then draw and color in treasure maps to roll up and tuck into their belts, then collapse, because evidently even coloring will drain it right out of you when you're sick.  I keep finding them lying in odd places around the house and yard.  It's somewhat disconcerting.  



The view of me most mornings at home:


The morning after the half marathon, I was tidying up around the house, mostly trying to keep moving so my entire body didn't stiffen up and go all Petrificus Totalus on me when Caedmon asked me to kneel down to his level.  With great solemnity, he placed my finisher's medal from the race around my neck, then went back to playing.  I wore it for the next couple hours over my jammies while getting household stuff done- I mean, I already had it on, okay, and I wouldn't dare risk offending our youngest child, and it did lend a certain air of accomplishment to my highly important dusting of the blinds and reading of the picture books.  Cade, for his part, was tickled I'd left it on, and we've gone through a makeshift awards ceremony almost every morning since.  



The view of my garden's last offerings of the season:


Gourds.  Gourds coming out of my ears.  I had already foisted at least half of them upon unsuspecting friends, and this is what I'm left with, plus a few more I just found hiding among the weeds a couple days ago.  I ended up dumping most of them on the front porch, because Lord knows I needed some kind of color on there, what with the demon squirrels constantly uprooting all the ornamental kale I tried growing in my containers.  THERE ARE NO NUTS IN MY FLOWER POTS, SQUIRRELS.  TAKE YOUR DIRTY PAWS ELSEWHERE.  YOU'RE RATS WITH FANCY TAILS.  GOD REGRETS YOUR CREATION.


The view of our piano-top:


More late-season garden produce:  Ornamental eggplant!  Gracious.  Remember when the lovelies in the above two photos were just tiny little egg carton sprouts?



They just grow so fast!  *sob*



3 comments:

  1. The first thing I see in that top photo is a FLAT YARD. I almost want to come over and rake your leaves because I would not have to rake them uphill. But those leaves are glowing gold and so beautiful just where they are.

    Okay, Lip Smackers is lip gloss, right, not candy? He ate that? Thank you for not telling me that while I was eating dinner.

    I hope your kids get better soon. Given the way your life has been the last few weeks, you deserve to wear that medal every day all day. But only if you want to, because I'm sure you have spent more than enough time doing what everybody else needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet that he would want to place that medal on you.

    Those leaves need to be left --they are too beautiful to rake. Plus, raking is over-rated.

    Did you plant multiple gourd plants? Or are they all from one plant? (I've never grown gourds, in case you can't tell.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea.

    The lip gloss consumption makes me chuckle. Gotta love boys!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.