Monday, December 22, 2014

A Useful Pre-Christmas List


Today is the 22nd of December.  Three days until Christmas.

Perhaps you're scrambling right now, trying to get everything everything everything done before Christmas.

Or maybe you're a born procrastinator (here!), and you're looking for something to do that will enable you to put off all those seemingly important things you have to do.  If that is you, well, friends, the internet and I are here to help.

A Few Things to Look at Instead of Doing Whatever You Should Be Doing Right Now

(Stop sighing, Derek, Mr. Responsible.  I am providing a service.)



  • In the spirit of Christmas, first up is an article about old suitcases that were found in a now-defunct mental asylum.  They belonged to patients who presumably died within its walls, and each is now a unique time capsule, brought to life by photographer Jon Crispin.  Here's the article my sister originally shared, and here's the original Willard Suitcases website if you want to see more.

  • If insane asylums don't give you the holiday feel-goods, maybe this article by Anne Lamott will, which begins thusly:
"I used to hear in early sobriety that if you had an idea after 10:00 pm, it was probably a bad idea.

I think the same is true about any ideas you may have in the next few days.
Everyone is very crazy. Some of us are better at covering this up than others. Some people will say how cheerful they feel and how much they love the holidays; but these are very angry people. Try not to be alone with them for any length of time."

  • And finally, here's a video Caedmon watched three times in a row this morning.  Derek and I often joke that Cade is a future politician (*shudder*), with his ability to charm the public at large and his penchant for baby-kissing.  He's excellent at saying exactly what I want to hear, such as the following, excerpted from our conversation this morning:  
"Mommy, do you know what my favorite Christmas song is?"

"I don't.  What is it?"

"'Mary Did You Know?' because I like the words."

At that point I was torn between gushing and skepticism- I mean, he really was laying it on a bit thick.  

Anyway, as half the western hemisphere is currently obsessed with Pentatonix, I had seen this video, and decided that just in case it really was his favorite, I'd reinforce it with some lovely a capella harmonies.  


3 comments:

  1. I am scrambling, and I am not doing anything Slowly And Majestically, as Anne Lamott suggested. (But see, at least I read her article.)

    All I have to do tomorrow is remember everything that I need to do, and then do it. Simple. HA!

    Merry Christmas! I am saying it now, in case I forget later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading your blog at 9am Christmas Eve day...and there are 0...ZERO gifts wrapped under our tree...and it's not because we opened them early. This is unlike me, yet I'm completely at peace totally stressing my children out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pentatonix does an excellent rendition of this song. One of my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.