Monday, January 5, 2015

Quoth the Atticus

Most of the family's tears/drama/insecurity flow from our daughter, but the other day we got home from running errands, and Atticus disappeared up the stairs for a while.  I called him down for lunch and was met with silence, which was unusual.  I went to the bottom of the stairs, prepared to holler up at him again, when he called down to me, in a voice broken with despair,

"Mommy, my muscles are really small."

Adelaide immediately started laughing, as notoriously unsympathetic older sisters are wont to do, so I shushed her before hastily covering my face in my scarf to smother my own giggling.  He sounded so pathetic.  When he finally made his way down the stairs, I could see how much his small muscles were bothering him by the way he buried his face in my stomach while simultaneously thrusting his left arm up for inspection.  

Now, there's no question, the kid is right:  Atticus is stringy.  I didn't want to lie to him, so I said things about muscles getting bigger as you grow and how Daddy exercises and does push ups and stuff to get bigger muscles, and how his muscles were going to end up just fine.  Thinking back on it now, I should have mentioned things like brains and kindness and trustworthiness being more important than muscles, but I don't always think so well on my feet.  I'll randomly bring it up out of nowhere soon and completely bewilder him instead.


He will have a chance to work some of his muscles here in a couple months, because he finally got wise and told his daddy that he wanted to play soccer, evidently figuring out that Mother will delay entry into organized sports for as long as possible- say, forever?  Derek promptly informed him that he could start in the spring when soccer started back up, I panicked just the tiniest bit having heard about how vicious those soccer moms can be (never mind that I'm already friends with several of them and know that they will, in fact, be holding my hand and patiently explaining all the sportsing rules to The Slow One), but just smiled to Atticus and started hunting for those garage sale soccer cleats I just knew would come in handy one day.

Atticus has been asking me all sorts of soccer-related questions ever since, and because I don't know the answers, I just kind of make things up.  His questions and something he said to his grandma the other day have alerted me to the fact that a mother with almost total apathy to all things sports-related and a sports-expert father make for a skewed image of what his own youth athletic career will look like:

"Grandma, you can come watch me at my games OR you can just watch me on tv."

"Mom, will there be cheerleaders at my soccer games?  A lot of cheerleaders?"  (Oh, gracious.)

"How will I run onto the field?  Will I run with all the other kids on my team, or by myself?  Will everyone cheer when they say my name?"

"What kind of seats will you sit in when you're watching me?  Will they be those tall seats?"


He seems to think his rec center soccer team is somehow affiliated with MLS or the NFL and will, of course, come with all the associated hoopla.  I'm hoping that reality won't be too much of a letdown, although I'm starting to think Derek's right and I won't be able to read a book the whole time he's playing (at the practices, friends, not the games.  I'm not that terrible a mother.  Probably.); I'll need to be watching him and making up for a decided lack of television cameras/cheerleaders/fans holding up homemade signs.  

Unless those things really are at small town kiddie soccer games?  I really have no way of knowing.



I DO know you don't wear ninja masks in soccer... right?

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear. He is definitely in for an education! Because in my experience, you CAN wear ninja masks in soccer. Anything goes, as they will all just chase the ball anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why its called the beehive league

      Delete
    2. Is it really called the beehive league? I don't even know enough to know if you're joking or not. Like... the kids just swarm out there?

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.