Wednesday, February 11, 2015

That's More Like It

Thanks to wonderful, wonderful friends, I think I've almost got this Valentine-party-game-situation licked.  Adelaide is thank-you-God capable of addressing and preparing her own Valentines this year, so that's done.  At least, I assume it is.  I think I glanced her direction all of one time while she was filling them out the other day, and she seemed to have everything more or less under control.  She's come a long way, baby.

Atticus has been steadily working on Valentines for his classmates since Saturday, which meant that, as of 10 pm last night, all that was left to do for this completely useless holiday was prepare Atticus's Valentine box for his classroom.

Unfortunately I had made the mistake of searching Pinterest for "Valentine's Day boxes" while Atticus observed from over my shoulder.  It took several minutes to explain to him just how little I was willing to invest in this whole project:  Zero dollars and maybe two television episodes' worth of my time.  That wiped out 90% of the results on there, but he did find an Olaf box I decided was reasonably do-able.

According to the Olaf Valentine Box Tutorial, I needed:

  • One empty Kleenex box
  • White Cardstock
  • Black Acrylic Paint
  • Scissors
  • One Orange Pompom
  • Two White Pompoms
  • One Black Pompom
  • Rubber Cement
  • Low Temperature Glue Gun and Glue
  • Black Craft Foam
  • White Craft Foam
  • A Sharpie


Of those things, I had:
  • One empty Kleenex box
  • Scissors
  • A Sharpie

Instead of all those fancy materials I cut up an empty granola bar box for various appendages and taped the heck out of the whole thing.  He also sports the tip of a real carrot for his nose, which is rather precariously attached to his face.  I thought about calling him White Trash Olaf, but Fiscally Conscious Olaf or Refurbished Olaf sounds way more pretentious and makes me sound like I made it this way intentionally due to my high-falutin' hippie ways.  The truth is I can't bear to buy all that stuff for something that will no doubt be trash in a matter of weeks.  



Good enough, says I, says Atticus, says Reused Household Materials Olaf.


4 comments:

  1. I think you are the cleverest mom out there, and your Fiscally Conscious Olaf will be a one-of-a-kind valentine's day box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he's so cute! Emma's valentines boxes never really came out the way we planned . . . this year I asked if her class was having a party, and she said "Mom, we're 8th graders. We all HATE Valentines Day." Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Atticus. That face is so adorable. Am I still allowed to call him adorable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so smart! We went away on a cruise the week of Valentine's Day, so my mom had. . .er, GOT. . .to deal with boxes and Valentine's! (patting self on the back)

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.