Friday, February 6, 2015

Three Things


  • The other day Adelaide said to me, "It seems like a long time ago girls liked Elvis Presley the same way girls like Justin Bieber now.  And that's just not fair!  Elvis Presley is so much better than Justin Bieber!"  This was after we fell down a Youtube wormhole that started with videos of The Shirelles and The Platters and ended with Elvis Presley singing "Hound Dog."   Adelaide has a classmate who is just the tiniest bit obsessive about Justin Bieber, which has flummoxed our daughter since this girl first pontificated on the subject of her idol.  We also watched a 70's-era video of Elvis, and Adelaide was aghast:  "What happened to him?!"  I said, "DRUGS, Adelaide.  Drugs and a reckless lifestyle happened to him.  So just remember:  You can have all the musical talent in the world, but if you do drugs, you'll end up a laughingstock who dies on the toilet."  This seemed to horrify and amuse her in equal measure, which meant my motherly work was done for the day.

I feel like I'd be more likely to read celebrity rags if all the pictures were of celebrities eating sandwiches.


  • My friend Paige and her herd of children came for a visit the other day.  The only thing wrong with Paige is that she moved to the other side of the state a couple years ago, and so I only get to see her a few times a year now.  Because of this, there is never enough time to say all the things we need to say.  It always feels like we're racing the clock, trying to cram as many topics into our short space of time as possible:  "Stitchfix-Sherlock-Harry Potter-Parenting-Books-Church-Peeing Boys-Guns-Blogging-Wait!  You can't leave yet!  I STILL HAVEN'T ASKED HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS AND THIS AND ESPECIALLY THIS!"  Caedmon's already asking to go see "the Other Atticus"; he feels the same way I do on this matter.

  • Derek and I are almost done with Midsomer Murders, which means we're about to be in need of another television show to watch together.  Suggestions?  Please?  We loved Sherlock and the aforementioned MM and Friends and Frasier and I can't think of what else.  I tend to be the tiniest bit difficult to please with tv, losing interest after only a couple episodes, whereas Derek's a Finisher to the bitter end- but still, we need help!  What program needs to be in our lives?

12 comments:

  1. Oh! I am a connoisseur of Netflix serieses-that-have-murders-and-accents and can give you a long list of what to watch next. Luther. Wallander (the one with Kenneth Branaugh). Endeavour. Broadchurch. The Killing. The Fall. Or if you haven't yet watched Friday Night Lights, West Wing, or Parenthood, what are you doing wasting your time reading this? Go! Watch!

    Huh. Apparently I need to watch less television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only ones of those I've seen are West Wing (great series) and Broadchurch, which we just watched last week. I enjoyed the whole thing, although that first episode was WRENCHING.

      Delete
  2. Luther, broad church and we just started crossing lines and it has been pretty good. Do not watch black mirror unless you've been mulling over whether or not to kill yourself. They promised something in the same vein as the twilight zone, but it is the twilight zone on meth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the name "Black Mirror" sounds disturbing, as does the Twilight Zone on meth. Now I miss the Twilight Zone!
      I have to know how you handled the first episode of Broadchurch. I'm lucky I was folding laundry while watching, because I needed something to distract me from all that emotion.

      Delete
  3. Kids are still into Justin Bieber? Wow. And here I thought he'd run his course back when Emma was in 4th grade. Huh.

    I really loved Endeavor. It's fun if you were a Morse fan, or not. Inspector Lewis is also one of my favorites --I think it's actually a lot better than the original Morse's, and the guy who plays Sergeant Hathaway is a spectacular actor. And the writing is fantastic. (Now I've written all this, you've probably already watched the series.)

    Wallendar is too dark for me. I'm such a TV wimp --I like mystery and humor, both of the British kind. I haven't watched Broadchurch, although I've been thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, am a TV wimp. Derek loved Lost, and while I could tell it was a good show, just hearing the music from another room freaked me out. I can't handle much intensity in a visual medium.
      I have to confess I have never watched nor read any of the Morse canon, but you've certainly got me curious about Endeavor.

      Delete
  4. Definitely a good parenting moment--fear kept me from trying many things in my teen years! Say no to drugs and a reckless lifestyle!

    Herd of children--I"m so curious how many children constitutes a herd. I feel the same way about my friend Misti--the more I see and talk to her, the more I have to say to her!

    Sorry, no help on the television series, but the kids and I enjoyed Sherlock, so I'll be scoping out the above-listed recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has 4 kids. I think it was her 4 plus my Caedmon that made it feel like a herd. Although I have a friend with two kids and they seem like a herd because they are INSANE. So I think it depends on the kids and their level of wildness.

      Delete
  5. Wait, there is another Atticus? Cool.

    I'm so glad Adelaide is an Elvis Presley fan! A while ago, my youngest and I had a similar youtube session, and she was hooked.

    We only have Netflix. Recently my husband and I have watched a lot of "Gilmore Girls" and some of "Foyle's War". Also love "West Wing" and find that most of the issues are still relevant today. We never got into "Inspector Morse" but I'm not sure exactly why. My husband liked "Dexter" but it was way too creepy for me.

    With TV or movies, I usually lose interest after 20 minutes. But not with the shows I mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the exact same way: 20 minutes of dedicated watching and then I wander away to bake something or pick up a book. We also loved West Wing (such great writing!), just watched it a few months ago and kept looking at each other as each crisis the staff dealt with was cropping up present-day. I have to confess I gave up the second-to-last season, but still! A few seasons of dedicated watching is pretty good for me!
      I'm intrigued by this "Foyle's War." Going to look it up now.

      Delete
  6. I need to retract my vote for crossing lines. It's like CSI with accents. Good for a laugh?

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.