Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Bounty of Spring

This has been an odd week.  Not because of odd happenings, but because I've caught some kind of bug that has made my head an odd place in which to reside.

Normally when I'm sick, all of my emotions are flat.  I can't summon the motivation to care about much of anything, and all my senses are dulled.  We've all been there, right?

This week has been different.  I've had some kind of bug that several people in the area seem to be likewise suffering from- nothing major, just mild, persistent nausea, nagging headache along with aches and pains, and a general feeling of malaise and run-down-ness.

What makes this bug special is that, at least for me, it has included heightened emotions.  And no, I am not pregnant.  Just so we're clear.

Case in point:  Last night, while gathering ingredients for the supper I had in mind, I couldn't find the ground ginger.  I tore my spice cabinet apart and found THREE containers of thyme, but no ginger.  I even found a small pot of sage, which is completely useless to me, as I can't stand the smell or taste of sage.  But ginger?  None.

Is this worth crying over?  It almost was last night.  I really wanted beef noodle bowls.

Once I got over the devastating ginger-related loss (my life is so hard), I decided to make quiche.  I was refreshing my memory on how to make PW's pie crust, and her instructions included not the usual phrase involved in the making of pastries, "combine until it resembles coarse meal," but "gradually work... until it resembles a coarse meal. (Emphasis mine)"  Just the inclusion of that little article "a" filled my brain with images of a plate containing asparagus and maybe chicken telling me dirty jokes and inappropriate stories.

Naturally this filled me with such mirth I laughed until I was almost too weak to wield the pastry cutter.  I didn't think much of it- everyone laughs at the jokes their brain tells them, right?- until Caedmon came over, laid his little hand on my arm, and asked, "Are you okay, Mommy?"

It's possible I've come across as a trifle unbalanced this week.  Is it possible for a germ to generate symptoms of mild manic depression?

Episodes of feverish hilarity aside, there were plenty of high points this week.  My peach hyacinths bloomed:



The tulips are also beginning to open up:



I also finally got my lettuce in, the only cool season veggie I plant.  I turned the compost heap and it produced a prodigious amount of beautiful, black, hearty compost to nourish the garden with this year.  I went to my first garage sales of the season and came back with nice garments for Adelaide and Atticus both, including tennis shoes for Atticus for just a few bucks that should work for school in the fall.  I had no idea how such nice shoes could possibly have so little wear, as any shoes our six-year-old tromps around in look like they've been through a wood chipper after a mere three or four months of use.  The very nice lady who lived in the McMansion where the sale was located swooped in to explain, however, that she had bought them for her son, who refused to wear them because they weren't the exact right shade of blue.  I said a prayer of thanks for her kid's brattiness and its indirect benefit to our kid, who was pleased as punch with the shoes.

Germs, flowers, and garage sale finds:  It's finally starting to feel like spring!

3 comments:

  1. First off, I covet your peach hyacinths. I have never seen a hyacinth that color. Gorgeousness.

    Second, your Coarse Meal made me laugh out loud! But I would have to say that when a Mom imagines food talking to her, it's time for a break.

    The missing ginger: if it were my house, someone would have carried the ginger off to an inexplicable part of the house for some non-food related activity. This is what happened with the salt container, not too long ago. I suggest you look on your husband's dresser for the ginger.

    I hope you feel better. I get very weepy and apologetic when I get a fever; grumpy for every other illness. For pregnancy, I got all emotions all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The peach hyacinth is beautiful! I can tell I'm going to ordering bulbs this fall --I need lots more spring flowers. We replaced the windows in our living room, and now you can actually see out of them, and there's a whole stretch out there that now needs bulbs :-)

    I'm sorry you're sick --I think it's very unfair to be sick just when the weather is drawing you outside. Although, your coarse meal also made me laugh out loud, so you're probably not crazy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please share the beef noodle bowl recipe and I'll share some ginger with you.
    If you had been in my house the past couple of weeks, this queasy concoction of emotions would be called taper madness. I've apologized to everyone about a thousand times for being so unstable.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.