When I picked it up one of the mechanics assured me that the van will probably continue to run for quite some time, as "the engines on those things generally run forever; people just stop driving them because everything else falls apart."
What's that, Sir Mechanic? "Everything else falls apart"? You don't mean things like:
- The driver's side door handle half broken, thisclose to coming completely off,
- One of the outer sliding door handles coming off in the hand of a passenger who dared to attempt opening the door,
- The power doors being inoperable,
- The manual button you use to open the inside of one of the sliding doors sticking nearly every time you use it, often having to be pried out with a key,
- The volume knob slicing itself cleanly in two and half of it falling off,
- The handle of the back hatch no longer working, making it so we can't open the back door,
- A hole in the exhaust system making the van so loud our neighbors must surely think Sturgis has relocated to our town when we're still a block away,
- The two back automatic windows that are supposed to open a bit for ventilation no longer working,
- The heat no longer working in the middle or back rows,
- The two black pieces of rubber on either side of the windshield coming loose and flapping like the wings of an irate goose anytime we're on the highway,
- The turn signals and hazards abruptly going on strike- they did fix those at the shop, as they're the tiniest bit important.
I'd say the maniacal laughter that threatened to erupt from me at his words was entirely warranted.