Thursday, December 3, 2015

Pie and Daughters, Daughters and Pie

The pie is finally gone, which means it's time to talk about pie some more.


We had four pies in attendance on thanksgiving.

If you're scratching your head, counting pies, and saying to yourself, "Hang on, she said..." it's because Derek's sister brought the fourth pie.  I took this picture Wednesday night, after Adelaide and I had made our three offerings, and smack dab in the middle of an epic wrestling match with my flighty self control.  I so badly wanted to somehow sneak a piece, but this is difficult when the pies are still whole and your guests still have functional eyes.  If I can remember to do so, next year I might take some of the leftover pie dough and make myself a tiny, mini-pie in one of my ramekins along with the big kid pies.  I think that qualifies as having your pie and eating it, too, right?

It's entirely possible Adelaide loves making pie more than she loves eating it.  Well, it's close, anyway.  She was giddy all afternoon, waxing poetic about the crimping and the stirring and the rolling.  If you ever get a hankering for homemade pie and don't mind your kitchen being destroyed (we're still working on the whole clean-as-you-go concept), have her over.  She's a riot.  
She ended up making the Berry pie herself, along with completing about half of the recipe for the Caramel-Pecan Pumpkin pie (which was so, so good).  She has already said she wouldn't make the berry again, and that I need to come up with a more challenging pie for her.  I'm thinking strawberry rhubarb, maybe?

When we weren't making pie, we were making mashed potatoes, which I did not get a photo of, but I did get this:
Roasted garlic:  Looks disgusting, tastes delicious when mashed into the potatoes.  Also makes your house smell amazing, provided you think garlic smells amazing, which of course I do.  Do you think there are people out there who possibly don't?  Probably the same ones who say things like, "I don't actually like ice cream," and "I always drive in the left lane on four-lane highways.  I just prefer it on that side, even if it is supposed to be just for passing."

Amidst all the state-sanctioned gluttony and Christmas decorating, I've become increasingly aware of a role reversal between Adelaide and I.  When I get too busy, I don't always use the wisest parts of my brain, and Daughter seems to feel the need to mother me at those times.  Wednesday I got so preoccupied with food prep that I forgot to actually eat anything, until it was 3 p.m. and I was getting a little light-headed.  I made up a pitcher of smoothies for some quick nutrition, but then I got distracted with kitchen clean-up and forgot to actually eat the prepared food, until Adelaide got in my face and commanded me to "SIT DOWN AND EAT BEFORE YOU COLLAPSE."  

Then, I went to haul the Christmas tree out of the basement (we have a fake tree, not a pine forest in our basement.  Just in case you were wondering.), and although Adelaide wanted to help, I insisted on bringing the (rather heavy and large) box up myself.  After much tripping and histrionics on my part, I finally managed to wrestle it up the stairs, and paused for a brief moment to sprawl flat on the kitchen floor, which allowed Adelaide time to tap the box meaningfully and glare at me.

Apparently this is what happens when a bossy eldest child has a bossy eldest child.  I am okay with it, except when I'm not.  I'm pretty sure Daughter feels the same.






5 comments:

  1. I find it amusing, except when I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. There is never a bad time to talk about pies. I am drooling looking at your photo of your pies.

    A whole, untouched pie is like Advent - just filled with anticipation and wonder. But a pie that has already been cut is Fair Game. We finished our 4 pies in 1.5 days. But then we had a large number of teens and young adults around. It's also quite possible that we are gluttons.

    Yes, next year all of us should make mini-pies for consumption before the big feast day. Because the cook needs to know if the big pie turned out okay, or if there is a need to make another one.

    My mother is proof that the best pie-bakers are also big mess-makers. She has made many a pie at my house, and it's like a nuclear explosion of flour.

    I am curious as to what thickener you used in your berry pie.

    Okay, I will stop obsessing about pie. When my children get parental with me, they usually call me "Mother" rather than the usual "Mom." I think it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee, I'm loving the role reversal. It stinks being an oldest daughter and having an oldest daughter! :)

    (And I'm pretty sure garlic is a food group)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adelaide looks adorable with that pie --and she looks cute in her glasses :-)

    Rob is allergic to garlic. I know.

    "your guests still have functional eye" . . . is there a plan to change that? Asking for a friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be Adelaide's strawberry rhubarb pie project!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.