Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Things I Don't Understand


  • Texting while driving.  
(See also:  Reading texts while driving.  I've received some important texts before- "Guess what?  I'M PREGNANT.  WITH TWINS," but it's never occurred to me to celebrate such important news with my own death.)
For a while I really, truly believed this wasn't something that happened all that often.  I mean, I'd seen the cautionary ads and read some appalling news stories about victims of those who stare at their phone while operating a 4,000 pound piece of machinery, but really, people couldn't be that crazy, right?!
Then I started to actively look for drivers looking at their screens rather than the road, and my gosh, they are EVERYWHERE.  We have to cross a relatively busy road to get to our kids' school bus stop, and every single day I see teenagers freshly unleashed from the nearby high school doing the stare-at-phone-stare-at-phone-QUICK-GLANCE-UP-AT-THE-ROAD-stare-at-phone-stare-at-phone bit, and every day, I point it out to our children:  "See that, kids?  Those people don't care about your safety.  Texting 'K' to their friends is more important to them than your very lives.  That is not acceptable behavior."  And lest you think it's just teenagers, or even mostly teenagers, NOPE.  The people I have observed texting while driving more than anyone are my contemporaries:  Adult women.  Grown-up, supposedly intelligent women.  I left church Sunday and a woman I know was behind me for several miles with her vehicle full of kids, texting away.  If I'd had to slam on my brakes for any reason, there is little doubt in my mind she would have rear-ended me, so engrossed was she in her phone.  

For me, the only salve is knowing that we have three small children who not only know not to check your phone while driving, but also feel little compunction about pointing it out in others with unbridled disgust and little to no care for political correctness.  I'm careful to curb our children's comments about smokers outside of stores- yes, it's bad for them, but the smokers are outside, and as long as they're attempting to smoke away from the lungs of my little ones, I feel like it's not really my business- I have no problem with the accusatory pointing our kids reserve for the nefarious texting drivers. 



  • These suckers.
I can only assume flavors like these were developed for children like our Atticus, who was gruesomely thrilled at the revelation of these creations.




  • Why it's still winter.
Do you know how sick I am of seeing this nonsense on my phone?  Even on the warm days- like the one above- it's often too windy or blizzardy to enjoy it.  And while yes, running during today's relatively gentle snowfall is beautiful, it can be hard to remember this when you can't find the trail through the snow and keep stumbling into the ditch, or the rocks, or the creekbed, because it all looks the same when it's blanketed in a thick layer of snow.
Somewhere under there is a trail.  Supposedly.
Thank heaven I have a Caedmon who spends his rest times (I'm not allowed to call them "nap times" anymore, because naps are for little kids, and guess who's super sensitive about being called "little"?) making these paper flowers for me, because "Mom, I know you like to see lots of flowers, but there aren't any flowers right now, so I made you one.  And it fits in your pocket!"

2 comments:

  1. Many people are like Pavlov's dogs when it comes to texting. When they hear the ding, they begin salivating at the prospect of an impersonal communication. Those people need to lock their phones in their trunks. Or maybe lock themselves in their trunks.

    On 'These suckers' - My East Coast linguistic brain registered the 'suckers' as a pejorative aimed at the manufacturers of what I thought was ice cream. It took me a while to realize that it is a photo of lollipops. Whether it's ice cream or suckers or lollipops, those flavors would be gross.

    Getting paper flowers from that child is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit to having been tempted by the phone while driving, but I have paid attention to those frightening public service messages and keep my phone securely in my pocket (reachable in case of rollover accident) or in my bag in the backseat. I get distracted enough by my coffee cup or water bottle.
    I suspect Carolyn is right about the the Pavlovian reaction. Too many people bring their phones to the dinner table (not allowed at my house except in rare circumstances).

    Wait, those are suckers? Eeeewww. On the other hand, if a child wanted one, and that child had given me a handmade flower, I might reward him.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.