Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Driving-in-Kansas List

Last week the kids and I headed to Kansas for a visit.  This, of course, means I have a number of posts cooking about the whole trip, but for today, we're just going to discuss the drive south, and we're going to do it in list format, because we can!


The Three Things I Worried Over Whilst Driving Southward Through Kansas:


  • Smoke.  It's pasture-burning season, and if you don't time it right, you have to either risk the lives of all the passengers in your car or pull over until the smoke clears.  Thankfully, they'd already burned off the range immediately adjacent to the interstate.  

  • Speeding Tickets.  I got one of those nasty things around a month ago while driving in a relatively unfamiliar part of Iowa, and it was a bit shocking for me.  I had always (MISTAKENLY) kind of, sort of, just maybe believed that my lone superpower was the inability to get speeding tickets.  I've been pulled over a time or *cough* ten but never actually received a ticket, only verbal warnings.  This time, though, there were four state troopers waiting at nearly every exit on the highway I was traversing, and sure enough, when I exited, there were several right there, each having pulled over a car containing yet another poor sap, because it turned out they were doing speeding checks by aircraft.  It sucked, it sucked, it sucked.  

  • Sam Brownback.



The Three Reasons I Lucked Out

  • Thankfully, they'd already burned off the range immediately adjacent to the interstate.  No smoke!  The sight of blackened ground has never warmed my heart so much.

  • I went all of two to three miles over the speed limit the entire way down and back, and although I saw a number of other people pulled over, I was not one of them.  I don't know if slow and steady actually wins any races, but it certainly keeps money in the bank.  Hmmph.

  • As I am neither a teacher nor live below the poverty line, I didn't actually have anything to fear from this particular boogey man.  He still gives me the willies, though.

1 comment:

  1. I read this yesterday but didn't have time to comment then. And this morning I hear about the State of Kansas being all on fire. Too bad The State of Kansas didn't follow the Boy Scout rule of having a water bucket the size of Missouri sitting nearby, while they were burning off those pastures.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.