Tuesday, May 24, 2016

She Should Have Been a Mole or a Bat Instead

Some time ago, my mother sent me a photo of herself, her sisters, and a couple other girls, all dressed up for Halloween in the sixties.

Now, all of her accompanying text within that email contained useful information, but the one thing I haven't been able to get over is her final statement:  "I don't have any glasses on, this must have been before the school nurse figured I was half blind at school."

I mean
First of all, just for today, we're going to ignore the girl in the nightmarish mask- we'll have to address that on a separate day, when I have emotionally prepared myself to do so.

For now, I'd like to focus on the girl in the cheetah costume:  My mother.

Seriously, though.

Does it really take a brilliant diagnostician to realize that the girl smiling thirty degrees to the left of the camera can't see a dang thing?


Every other person looks as if they've gone through the requisite party ritual of, "Okay, everybody, say, 'Cheese!'"  All look at the camera and parrot, "Cheese!"  Unless you're poor, blind Lorri, however; in that case you're wearing a vacant smile and staring at nothing.

Now, you could argue that the object of her gaze is merely out of range, that I have no way of knowing what she's looking at.  As a terribly, terribly near-sighted person myself (thanks, mom), I heartily and vociferously disagree, as I have pasted this facial expression on my own visage many times, when the contacts are safely soaking in their case, my glasses are on my nightstand, and Derek says something to me that requires a reply.  I have to wait for him to move in order to know where to turn my head and aim my voice at; otherwise, no idea.  None.  Just a blind smile, staring forty paces to the left of the person attempting to interact with me.
Kinda like this, actually.


I wonder how many walls she offered to "Trick or treat" that night.  Bless her heart.  Still, things could have been worse.
What the heck, 1967?

2 comments:

  1. The Sixties were a scary time for some people, so that mask is probably appropriate.

    I am guessing it must be very difficult to go through any amount of school with untreated vision problems. Now that I need glasses for distance, and different glasses for reading (yes, yes, okay, I'll get bifocals NEXT year), I sort of have at least an inkling of what it might be like. But maybe if you're a child, you just assume that everything is supposed to be blurry, until someone helps you figure out otherwise?

    I am trying to figure out what the costume of the girl third from the right is supposed to be. It looks like a short bridal veil over her mouth?

    I am so glad that you used the word "vociferously." I am a fan of that word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely becomes normal. I had the same experience many report, in that I was fitted and acquired my first pair of glasses, walked out of the building, and was astonished at being able to make out each individual leaf on the trees above me. I don't remember who figured out I couldn't see, though; maybe a failed third grade vision screening?

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.