Thursday, June 9, 2016

A-Golfing We Will Go

The other night Derek and the boys wanted to go golfing.  Adelaide and I wanted to go reading, but the boys have been asking for some time now if I could go along to watch them.  It was finally time to either acquiesce or embrace poor and selfish motherhood.  After a brief but vicious internal struggle, I chose the former.  Then duped Daughter into coming along.

Really, it was beautiful out there.

Anymore, it's a little strange to watch Atticus and Caedmon on the golf course; they're very comfortable there, and clearly know what they're doing.
According to Caedmon, the rake is to smooth out the footprints he made while shooting out of the bunker.  I do not think my suggestion of a zen garden was all that preposterous, as golfers seem to me to be rather easily riled.


This guy tends to be outwardly calm, but I think even he could do with a therapeutic session of rake, rake, raking his cares away.


Meanwhile, I get the stink eye from Derek for making new friends instead of paying careful attention to everyone's swing.


I did pay some attention, however- how else would I have gotten photos of everyone, even Adelaide!  I am not including that one, however, at her request.  Perhaps she doesn't want proof out on the internet that she can be coerced onto a golf course?  She's part of a secret anti-golf society?  Sadly, we'll never know, as she flounced out of the room when I (nicely, I was just curious!) dared ask her why I wasn't allowed to share the photo of her.  It would seem that being ten is rough, or maybe that's just when you're the sole intelligent being in a family of eejits.  
Not Adelaide, but the sentiment remains the same.

Even though the boys- particularly Atticus- desperately wanted to stay and play longer, Derek took pity on certain family members (um, not the boys and Derek) and we left after playing all of... I don't know, seven holes?  Derek can remember every hole and every shot and every whatever in a round of golf.  It all blurs together to me:  First, you select a club out of your bag.  I am assuming this selection is not random, but who the heck really knows?  Then, you swing the club at the ball.  The ball heads (hopefully) toward a tiny hole in a vast green space.  Repeat as necessary.


It sure is pretty, though.

Especially the players.
It looks like he's doing a good job, but again, who knows?  Not me, not ever.  So I just chirp, "Good job!" over and over.




3 comments:

  1. All that flatness! It's extraordinary.

    Walking on that sand pit (is that what it is called?) would drive me nuts. I would have to rake it back EXACTLY the way it was before. Which would be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so funny when you comment how flat it is here; it seems rather hilly from me, compared to Kansas. I know it's NOTHING to Pennsylvania, though!

      Delete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.