Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Dot Dot Dot...

I have all kinds of fun things that you just have to know about here in the new year, but today the only thing I want to show you is something simultaneously satisfying, soothing, and highly addictive.

I am speaking, of course, of dot-to-dot.

Remember dot-to-dot puzzles?  Or... I don't even know if they qualify as puzzles, as there's nothing particularly puzzling about them, unless you struggle with number order.  They're those things you did when you were little, where you started at the dot labeled "1," then drew a line between that dot and the number 2 dot, and on, and on?  Possibly they helped you learn to count to ever-higher numbers, or at least enabled you pretend you had the tiniest smidgen of artistic talent?

Well, this is one of those for grown-ups.  Derek's mom got this book for me for Christmas, and it was one of those things I didn't know I wanted.  It is so fun and entertaining and ruinous.  Why ruinous?  Well, you open up the book, and you pick a not-a-puzzle, and all is going well because you purposely sat down to have this ten minutes to yourself, then five minutes have passed and you think, Okay, I'm just going to go to dot 201, and then maybe if I have time later I'll do a bit more, but then something happens and you find yourself muttering, "Dot 835, where is dot 835?" and waaaay more than ten minutes have elapsed.

Click to embiggen, please.

As a now-veteran dot-to-dotter (why no, I haven't ever been in danger of being voted "Most Popular" in any school I've attended; why do you ask?), allow me to make a few suggestions before you embark on your first, sweet dot-to-dot experience.


  • Light.  You are going to need good, strong, bright light.  Daylight is what I've found I prefer, which is a bit of a shame as it's at such a premium this time of year.  It is helpful that the dots are printed in different colors 100 at a time (1-100 are blue, 101-200 are yellow, etc, etc), at least in this book, but still, those are tiny dots with tiny numbers beside them.  It's possible that if you have younger, stronger eyes than mine you'll need something less than surgical theater lights to complete these, but otherwise, let there be light.

  • A sharp pencil, unless you're the reckless type who eats danger for breakfast but also enjoys a calming indoor activity in the afternoon.  The rest of us need something with an eraser and plenty of fiber.

  • A straight edge, because it's possible that four dots into their first page one might discover that one is a monkey whose monkey fingers cannot draw a straight line to save her monkey life.  Or, you know... so I've heard.


And see?  Just like when you were young, you can make-believe your monkey fingers are capable of something even remotely artistic.  Which is fun, if misleading, but I'm pretty sure I've looked at any number of pieces in museums that would fit neatly into the "fun, if misleading" category.  








1 comment:

  1. Wow - did the dots on the first page you showed end up to be the drawing in the last photo? Because I could have sworn that the page with the dots was a map of all the bars in Europe. But the drawing in the last photo looks like Amsterdam or something.

    I might like dot-to-dot but first I have to finish my coloring books. But before I do that I have to go get bifocals.

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.