Thursday, June 1, 2017

Four Things

  • If you are on Instagram, consider giving Merriam-Webster a follow.  Yes, as in the dictionary.  They post a Word of the Day that puts most of those desk calendars and toilet paper to shame.  Here's a recent one I'm still thinking about:
Can you imagine using this in a sentence around people?  "I don't know what it is about tulips, man- I just grok them."  They'd think you were crazy, throwing random nonsense syllables into what was a normal conversation.  

This, of course, means I'm going to try using it at the library today.






  • If you happen to be at the national school nurse conference in San Diego next month, I recommend going to this session:
Why, yes, that is my mom presenting it, because who else has favorite pediatric infectious diseases?  Or refers to themselves as a "former 'Germ Wench'"?  I can promise the whole thing will be a hoot, and am currently taking bets on how many times she mentions hand-washing.  
Pre-test:  Who can tell me three things that are wrong with this combatant's hand-washing technique?  I am not even kidding, and I promise my sisters know.







  • One Friday of every month, our library hosts a little thing called Soup and Sound, where the library staff makes a meal and a person or group comes in and performs.  Over the past year I've heard a presentation by the Iowa Honey Bee Queen, a contingent from our high school speech team came in, and last month, a local hammered dulcimer player shared his talents.  I pulled Adelaide out of school to attend, much to her delight.

I believe she enjoyed listening to Mr. Greenlaw play, and it was so generous of him to let everyone fiddle around with the instrument, but if I'm being honest, the carrot cake was probably her favorite part. 







  • Derek's won a bunch more awards for his work over the past few months, but one is a doozy:
He won a Telly!  What's a Telly, you ask?  It's a big ol' honking international competition with thousands and thousands of entries and only the best win the good stuff.  I did not take that from their website.  

I believe I've shared his winning video before, but just in case, here it is again (and before you say, "Resource Recovery Plant?  No, thanks," well, this is actually interesting and will make you question what your own community does with their trash):


Congratulations, husband!







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



P.S.  What do you think the past tense of "grok" is?  "Grokked"?  And why isn't it "grock"?  I can't think of any other English verb or noun that ends in "k" rather than "ck."  Mock, shock, lock, hock, chock, dock, why can't I let this go, knock, pock, sock... 

3 comments:

  1. I think too many people will confuse Grok for "Gronk," and I promise football fan reading this will know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to read the title twice because I did think that she was using the word Gronk and wondered why she was writing about the New England Patriots...

      Delete
  2. Four items in reply:
    1
    I did not grok my children when they used the word "pwn." It is probably good that I am not on Instagram. Or Twitter.

    2
    Three cheers for your mother, the Germ Wench!

    3
    Three things that a wrong with the Hand-washing Technique
    1) He is not wearing a hat.
    2) His tights are too tight.
    3) The color red is not represented in his superhero combatant costume.

    Let me know if I won anything, especially if the prize is a stern visit from your mother.

    4
    Bravo to Derek! I haven't watched this video you posted here, but I believe I might have seen it before. I was utterly impressed, both by the video and by the resource recovery plant.

    I hope your summer is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Studies show that that people who leave comments are kind, intelligent, generous, creative, and have really nice hair.