How about I do a half-hearted attempt at a post and make yet another list, then tomorrow come back and write a real post?
- I walked upstairs toward the end of naptime the other day and found this:
Caedmon had snuck into the bathroom, crawled in the sink, then got stuck. I have no idea how long he was in there; I had been outside trimming trees for the last hour and a half. He now has a baby gate in his doorway at naptime. He likes to curl his fingers around the bars and peer forlornly at me as I walk away from him. It makes me feel a little bad for him. Not bad enough to let him stay up, of course. Don't let his sweet face fool you- that kid's an operator.
- We finally made it to Ledges State Park the other day. We all had a terrific time, in part because Cade enjoys being mothered by pretty girls, and our friend Adi is the consummate 7 year old mother.
- My coneflowers are blooming, as is the cactus my grandparents gave me.
I know I keep harping on about it, but I just cannot believe all I had to do was lay that thing on the ground and it's thriving. [Insert related self-deprecating comment on my parenting style that I'm too tired to come up with here. Sorry guys, it's a bring-your-own-jokes kind of night.] Note that I "planted" said cactus at the entrance to the rabbits' burrow under the shed. I was hoping the little demons would get stuck and die slow, painful deaths, but then a little childhood fable began to trickle through my head... something about... Brier Rabbit? Briar Rabbit? Br'er Rabbit? Anyone want to enlighten me? Am I completely making this up?
- I got my first cherry tomatoes of the year last week. Two of 'em. There's a whole bunch out there right now that hopefully I'll remember to pick tomorrow morning.
Did I ever tell you I forced myself to like tomatoes? In college I decided that it was high time I started eating tomatoes, so I'd make myself eat them every couple months. As I progressed through my twenties I upped it to once every month, then every few weeks, until finally my taste buds surrendered or my brain cracked and I really did like them. Only took me ten years!
- I still like taking photos of my children while they're asleep. I don't know what this means.
Atticus was actually hanging off the couch, and was supporting some of his weight with the leg on the floor for a whole hour while he napped. I tell you what, even unconscious that kid is weird. He either looks like a corpse or his entire body is covered in heavy blankets- including his head and face- with just his bare feet sticking out. I always feel like I should be divining some deeper meaning behind these unusual sleeping positions.
- I get to see both my sisters and their families this weekend, including this lady:
Steph. Beffer. Stepha-roonie. The Steph-meister. Shteffer-Beffer.
Is it just my family, or do all youngest siblings have a million nicknames?
- And something to make you smile:
I love that you took that picture of Cade in the sink before rescuing him :-)
ReplyDeleteI didn't get to grow tomatoes this year, but I sampled some black cherry tomatoes at my sisters a few days ago, and they were awesome. I have to grow them next year.
I'm always amazed at kids who fall asleep mid-play. In all of Emma's 12 years, that happened only once.
Stuck in the sink?! That takes skill.
ReplyDeleteWe just got back from vacation, to discover a good harvest of cherry tomatoes. My oldest did the same as you - forced herself to like tomatoes. They are so very good for one's health. My other two kids have consented to eat tomato sauce, but not raw tomatoes. That's okay - more for me.
My kids hardly ever fall asleep in public places. I think it also takes skill to fall asleep while supporting yourself with your leg.
Composing countless posts in your head totally counts (or I am a really, really bad blogger) -- and besides, you took a picture of the kid before rescuing him! That is a sure sign of a blogger. :)
ReplyDeleteI taught myself to like tomatoes at the age of 19. Homegrown and warm from the garden are the best!