It's been quite a week. We took the kids on their virgin trip to IKEA, which Adelaide loved and the boys tolerated. Derek and I basically looked at ten different ways to put shelves in ten different places; this new house has very little in the way of storage space, so as we continue to try and unpack it consists of us unwrapping an item, looking around for a place to store it, finding nothing, and putting it on whatever horizontal surface is within arm's reach. Repeat x1000.
We got a new couch, which is exciting, because the one that has faithfully served us for the last 11 years only fits three people, and last I counted there are five of us. It's nice and plump, although I haven't really allowed myself to recline on it yet; I currently look like a cross between a burn victim and a leper due to the increasingly widespread poison oak rash covering my body, and I don't want to get blister ooze on the new cushions. Each day also brings with it a heightened sense of self consciousness in terms of bringing this open flesh wound out into public, although the real problem there is that I don't like for any fabric to be touching the rash, which hurts on contact but really starts barking when I later try to peel the fabric off that has inevitably fused to my weeping skin. Clearly the answer is to go around topless, but something tells me this would attract the wrong kind of friends.
I started taking Benadryl a couple days ago to try and combat the incessant itching and pain, but did so with reluctance: I'm pretty sensitive to the stuff. I know this due to past experience, which consisted of me taking some Benadryl at Derek's parents' house years ago and then waking up an hour later, face-down in the middle of the living room. I don't know why I didn't choose one of the beds, couches, or really any kind of furniture and instead chose to stretch out where there was a regular pattern of foot traffic.
But itchy and oozy am I, so Benadryl it is. I've been keeping the operation of heavy machinery to a minimum, but yesterday I felt like it was safe to walk a block up the hill to the small and sweet Berlin Free Library (not to be confused with the town's public library). I remember sitting down in a chair to read while the kids made their book selections, and then I remember waking up to my phone buzzing in my lap. I'm pretty sure I only fell asleep for a few minutes. I really really hope no one stumbled upon me in my (legal) drug-induced coma.
I am going to the doctor Monday morning. I am hoping for more powerful, but still legal drugs. That or they can just skin me and I'll start anew. Whatever it takes.
No!!! I am sorry to hear this skin issue is lingering. How annoying and inconvenient as you try to meet people but hope they won't recognize you next time as you would hope to be cured. I do encourage you NOT to wander around topless.
ReplyDeleteI have never set foot in an Ikea. No excuse. Just haven't done it.
Good luck with the shelving and the doctor. Never easy to unpack and have other crap crop up.