- The roads. THE ROADS. I've been much much better about expanding my bubble living in CT this time- going new places, venturing out alone, not sticking to the same old places time and again. This is in part due to the fact that I'm just plain older; every time I begin to think harsh thoughts toward my past self that lived here, I remind myself that I was 21 when I moved last time and say "YOUR PREFRONTAL CORTEX WASN'T EVEN FULLY DEVELOPED, cut the girl some slack!" But even more than having a fully developed brain to thank for this expanded bubble is the wonder that is modern day GPS. Google and Apple Maps are my very, very best friends. We spent hours together daily last summer and fall when we first moved here. I still touch base with them multiple times a week. Nothing makes sense about the roads here: if you're on the highway and miss your exit, you can't just get off on the following exit and backtrack, midwestern-style. The next exit takes you to an entirely different place with no obvious connectors to the road you originally wanted.
- Sneezing- or rather, people's reaction to it. If you sneeze here, people will stop what they are doing, turn to you, and audibly say, "Bless you!" Hang on, I feel like I'm not explaining this well. Yes, I grew up with utterances of "Bless you" and "Gesundheit" in response to sneezes, but I need you to picture people not just saying it off-hand, but rather halting whatever their current task is, then turning toward the person and declaring, "Bless you!" as if they really are trying to ward off a sneeze demon, or whatever the past belief that prompted the original of that phrase is. Last Sunday we were all listening to the sermon like good little Christians when someone one row up sneezed. No less than four people turned toward that person and didn't bother to lower their voices as they blessed them. And business carried on as usual, with the exception of Derek and I looking at each other like, "Helloooo, Crazy Town."
- Suckers vs Lollipops. To me and my midwestern brethren, this
is a sucker, while this
is a lollipop.
Here, they are both lollipops. This comes up a surprising amount at my job, possibly because there are so many children in libraries, possibly because on any given day we have too much candy in the workroom.
- Street Names. Roads here often have charming and amusing names. I often run on Camels Back Road, which is a short road with one steep hill, a quick up-down. One of my favorites on our drives down to the coast is Roast Meat Hill Road. So many were clearly named before city planners could get their hands on plat maps and say, "Look, the roads going North-South will all be the names of presidents, East-West will be tree names- none of this Mystic Meadow Lane or Velvet Place nonsense." (Ahem, Midwest.) Crowing these unusual names to our captive passengers has become one of my favorite things to do whilst driving around the state. Also confusing, in a not so whimsical way, are places with names like this state park



I often wonder where I would be (not literally, but perhaps) without GPS. Glad you are feeling more adventurous. That state park named after Satan: I would totally steer clear of. Have you also encountered people who say soda instead of pop? Funny that you haven't left the country or anything and yet so many odd differences.
ReplyDeleteI thought I was your very best friend :(
ReplyDelete