Monday, April 30, 2012

I'm Too Tired to Come Up With a Creative Title

I don't know how much sleep I got last night.  I do know that I went to bed a little after ten pm and got up at 6:40 am.  I also know that my son woke me up countless times last night, yelling and crying.  I say 'countless' because I stopped counting after I got up the seventh time.

As a result, I'm tired today.  Eyes burning every time I blink tired.  Keep crashing heavily into furniture because my balance is really off tired.  Having trouble making my keep-me-sane start-of-day list tired.  Takes me a full minute to answer a simple question because my cognitive processes are so delayed tired.

After getting our older son his breakfast (the younger slept in- proof that God's mercies really are new every morning), I slowly made my way up the stairs to change and wash up.  After getting dressed, I stumbled into the bathroom, squeezed toothpaste onto my toothbrush.

About fifteen seconds into my teethbrushing, I realized something was amiss.  I wasn't sure what.  I get really stupid when I'm tired, so I looked vaguely around me, trying to figure out what was going on.  There was some small part of my brain trying to communicate something important to me, but I couldn't quite decipher the message.  I continued to brush in a sluggish fashion, my eyes wandering around the bathroom, looking for inconsistencies.

Finally, a thought made it through the fog:  My toothpaste sure tastes funny this morning.

After that thought had made its way ever so slowly to my hand, I pulled the toothbrush out of my mouth.  I stared at it stupidly.  Something was wrong with the appearance of it, I just knew it.  What color is my toothpaste supposed to be?  Hmmm.  Oh, yes, that's right- white.  My toothpaste is white.  Okay, what color is that stuff on my toothbrush right now?  Let's see.  It's not white.  It's... yellow.  So what's wrong here?  Ummm... white is not the same as yellow.  No, no, wait.  There should be white stuff on my toothbrush.  Not yellow stuff.  White.  So... yellow stuff on my toothbrush is not a good sign.

After this fun little internal dialogue, I turned my attention to the taste in my mouth.  In addition to the brilliant revelation of My toothpaste is white, I also came up with My toothpaste is minty.  I realized that my mouth did not taste minty.  It tasted... what was that?  Camphor?  Definitely something medicinal.

Let me go ahead and skip ahead to the part where I open the medicine cabinet to find out what's wrong with the toothpaste tube.  Let's likewise skip the part where I puzzle over the fact that the folks at Colgate have changed the name of their toothpaste to "A and D Ointment."  Let's also skip the laborious thought processes involved and the ridiculous amount of time it took to me to figure out that I had been brushing my teeth with the same ointment I slather on my children's nether regions when they have a diaper rash.

This little episode had one positive note: It shocked me awake.  I did my best to wipe all the ointment out of my mouth with a towel (because, man, that stuff really sticks to your molars), brush my teeth with actual toothpaste, and make the wise decision to stop storing the A and D Ointment right next to the toothpaste.

One hour in this everlasting, exhausting day down, half a billion to go.

12 comments:

  1. I'm trying to muster up some guilt for the entertainment I gain from your human foibles.

    It's not working yet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just so many of them. Good word, foibles.

      Delete
  2. I really shouldn't have read this post since my gag-reflex is already in high gear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely enough, I didn't really find it that gross. There's some food for thought- pun definitely intended.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry, hopefully there aren't any scary marching bands in buds closet tonight for your sake. May you actually get a complete night of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally gave up and slept on their bedroom floor. I may have been cold and uncomfortable, but at least I was sleeping.

      Delete
  4. You know, after reading your blog and your friend's blogs and watching my friends' kids have babies, I've decided there should be mommy camp once every year. Kind of like 4-H camp for moms. Grandparents take the kids for a weekend sleepover, and you go hang out with other moms, someone else cooks for you, and you get to do fun activities with your peers. And, there is mandatory nap time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristy,

    I stumbled across your blog after perusing FB. I remember that slumber party well... in addition to the baptism, you forgot to add that you played Ace of Base on repeat for the entire night.

    Hope you're well!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I reiterate: Poor Molly. I can't decide which would be more traumatizing, an unsolicited baptism or Ace of Base on repeat.
      Also, I laughed really, really hard when I read your comment.

      Delete
  6. Oops, meant to add this comment to the appropriate post!

    ReplyDelete

Did you think you could cheat and just read the comments without writing one yourself? Cheater.